This recipe is very flavorful and is filled with wholesome nutrients, vitamins and fiber. Unlike most teriyaki recipes, this doesn’t contain sugar, yet it maintains a sweet undertone. Serve on a bed of baby arugula and quinoa (if you’re doing grains).
- 1 can naturally sweetened, zero calorie lemon lime soda (Zevia brand)
- 1/2 cup low sodium, gluten free soy sauce
- 3/4 cup brown rice vinegar
- 1 medium yellow onion – half minced and half thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Tablespoon coconut crystals (or 1 teaspoon agave nectar or 1 packet Stevia)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch segments
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Optional: baby arugula and cooked quinoa
- Combine the soda, soy sauce, vinegar, minced onion, garlic, ginger and coconut crystals in a bowl. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Place in refrigerator overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry. Reserve 1 cup of marinade.
- Heat one teaspoon of coconut oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken and heat on medium high, turning once, for 8-10 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Wipe out the skillet. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Add the sliced onion and asparagus. Cook for 5 minutes, until browned. Add the reserved marinade and boil until slightly reduced. Add the cilantro.
- Serve over a bed of baby arugula and cooked quinoa.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 289 calories, 13g fat, 963mg sodium, 4.8g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, and 29g protein.
Your friend & coach,