Group Fitness Training Burlingame Boot Camp 4/11/15: I Am A Priority Challenge T- 16: 1200 + Rep Bodyweight Challenge
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Add in more wrist mobility work *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response) > digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Phase 2: Supine Double Knee to Chest Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in supine double knee to chest position. Initiate breathing with belly (feel it press into thighs)–>rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (5s inhale (belly falls)–> 5 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging). This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine. As they continue to breathe and relax they should feel their knees going closer to the chest.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest, 6 total sets for Phase 2
Phase 3: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
1. Prone Plank with Partner Opp. Hand Push *3 B’s *Left hand off ground and pushing partner’s left hand (30s) *Wide feet *Corkscrew elbows *Relax shoulders
2. Prone Plank with Partner Opp. Hand Push *3 B’s *Right hand off ground and pushing partner’s right hand (30s) *Corkscrew elbows *Relax shoulders
3. Partner Lower Pelvic Lift or Curl *Partners are supine (head to head) , they grab each other’s forearms to anchor > lift pelvis and keep legs straight or curl *Keep forearms and elbows on floor *3B’s*
Phase 3: As a Group: Dynamic Cardio (5 Minutes) *
· Butt kicks *Goal is stride frequency, not length- how many strides can you take from point a-b
· High knees *Land on ball of foot with toes up *Goal is stride frequency, not length
· Side shuffle
· Back pedal
· Skip *Land on ball of foot with toes up
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
After review boot campers find a partner or small group to work with and immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
Challenge: 1200 REPS -(3 rounds of 5 exercises) Have campers perform the following exercises in their best time possible. The goal is for the campers to beat their times EACH round. Rest as long as needed between each round. Have them partner up and motivate each other. Tell them to look at time each round before and after.
1. 300 Jumping rope either double rotation or singles *Relax heels *Bike or do another form of cardio for 3 min if needed
2. 20 Dive Bomber Push-ups: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ndOPrcoUt8 *3B’s *Corkscrew elbows *Modify with less of a scoop
3. 20 Walking Sprinter Lunges (20 on each leg) *Slight forward lean and drive opp. arm & leg *3B’s *Big step
4. 20 Equalizer Rows *Use hips to go up and down * 3B’s *TRX Rows can be an alternative but make it tough for 10 to allow for a little rest
5. 20 Prisoner Split Squat Jumps (20 on each leg) *Modify with split squat *Try to land in same spot *Squeeze shoulder blades
*For those that have time: 30 Burpees
Tell the Campers to post their results on our Shamp’s Boot Camps Facebook Fan Page–> Shamp’s Boot Camps
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,