Most Italian Meatball Soup recipes contain crusty bread and orzo pasta in addition to the meatballs and veggies, so in order to ensure your best fitness results we’ve left those high-calorie, high-carb ingredients out of this delicious recipe. Instead we’ve filled this comforting soup with wholesome ingredients like sweet potato, chickpeas, kale, tomatoes and onion. Serve hot and enjoy!
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
- 1 lb loose Italian sausage
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (5 oz) package baby kale
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Form the sausage into 40 small meatballs using about a teaspoon of sausage per meatball. Place the meatballs on one of the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl toss the diced sweet potato with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Spread the sweet potato over the remaining baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until tender.
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions, garlic, Italian seasoning, sea salt and red pepper flakes.
- Partially cover and cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are soft. Increase the heat to high.
- Deglaze the pot with the wine and cook until evaporated. Stir in the broth, tomatoes and sweet potato and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, 8-12 minutes.
- Stir in the meatballs, chickpeas and the kale until wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Enjoy! 🙂
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 397 calories, 19g fat, 26g carbohydrate, 705mg sodium, 7g sugar, 9g fiber, and 20g protein.
Check out more fabulous recipes on http://brienshamp.com/recipes
Your friend & coach,
Try out the Fit Body Boot Camp Afterburn Workout for 21 days. You’ll see why we’re rated the best in the Bay Area! 21 Day Rapid Fat Loss Program Boot Camp Trial
Fit Body Boot Camp is the only 30 minute group personal training program that’s fun, affordable, gives you fat loss results and challenges your body every time. Best of all, we guarantee you’ll be happy with the results or you get your money back.
The boot camp sessions are approximately 45-50 minutes long. Each session includes a 10-15 minute warm up phase with mobility and core movements to prepare you for the 30 minute metabolic workout, and then it ends with a 5 minute cool down phase.
Join Brien on Facebook
Write a Google+ Review
Write a Yelp Review: Belmont Boot Camp, Burlingame Boot Camp, San Carlos Boot Camp, Shamp’s Studio Boot Camp