What to do with fresh turmeric root? Why not turn it into this SUPER FOOD medley! The fresh turmeric is extremely easy to incorporate into the dish and is used in both the marinade for the chicken and in the quinoa.
Note: For those on a super low carb diet, feel free to sub in 4 cups of shredded cauliflower or Brussels sprouts in place of the quinoa. Reduce the broth to 1/4 cup and reduce the cook time in half.
For the Turmeric Marinated Chicken
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon freshly grated turmeric root
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Root
- juice from 1 Lemon
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 pounds raw chicken breast, cubed
For the Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Curry Powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 baby kale, chopped
- juice from ½ Lemon
- 2 tablespoons raw pepitas
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a bowl, except for the chicken.
- Mix well to combine. Add the chicken cubes and mix well.
- Cover and place in the fridge for 2 hours, or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 360 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Place the chicken cubes on the pan so that they aren’t touching. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Without removing the chicken from the oven switch to the high broil for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove once golden.
- In a medium sauce pan place the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the turmeric, curry and cumin.
- Heat until fragrant. Add the quinoa and stir frequently until it starts to make popping sounds.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a low simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid, stir in the kale, and place the lid back, cooking for another undisturbed 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and let the quinoa sit for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and transfer to a bowl.
- Fluff the quinoa and mix in the lemon juice. Garnish with pepitas and serve with the chicken. Enjoy! 🙂
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 330 calories, 21g fat, 21g carbohydrate, 300mg sodium, 1g sugar, 4g fiber, and 15g protein.
I hope that you get a chance to give this recipe a try soon. Remember that I’m only a call or email away to assist you in all things health & fitness. And if you are not yet one of my prized clients then call 650-654-4604 or email me now at email@example.com to set up your first strategy session. I’d love to help you achieve your best self!
Check out more fabulous recipes on http://brienshamp.com/recipes
Your friend & coach,
Try out the Fit Body Boot Camp Afterburn Workout for 21 days. You’ll see why we’re rated the best in the Bay Area! 21 Day Rapid Fat Loss Program Boot Camp Trial
Fit Body Boot Camp is the only 30 minute group personal training program that’s fun, affordable, gives you fat loss results and challenges your body every time. Best of all, we guarantee you’ll be happy with the results or you get your money back.
The boot camp sessions are approximately 45-50 minutes long. Each session includes a 10-15 minute warm up phase with mobility and core movements to prepare you for the 30 minute metabolic workout, and then it ends with a 5 minute cool down phase.
Join Brien on Facebook
Write a Google+ Review
Write a Yelp Review: Belmont Boot Camp, Burlingame Boot Camp, San Carlos Boot Camp, Shamp’s Studio Boot Camp