Do you have kids and need some tips on what to pack for lunch? Check out my article in Parenting on the Peninsula “7 Steps to a Perfect Packed Lunch.”
Great one for the kids.
Parenting on the Peninsula (POP) is a monthly journal serving the San Francisco Peninsula and the Silicon Valley whose sole purpose is to provide valuable parenting information for parents of children of all ages. I am now writing a monthly column for them.
Here’s an example of a healthy and balanced packed lunch. Try this one out, and then use it as a springboard for your own creative lunch ideas. Don’t fall into the trap of eating the same thing day after day. Remember to use the 7 steps above to create your perfect packed lunch.
Here’s what you need…
For the wrap:
- 1 green tortilla (can also use lettuce as a wrap)
- 1 chicken breast (or your choice of protein: veggie patty, lean turkey, hardboiled egg, smoked salmon or grilled white fish)
- Sliced tomato
- Romaine lettuce
- 1 Tablespoon hummus
For the veggies:
- 1/2 cup cut veggies (try broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and bell peppers)
- 1/4 cup hummus
For the yogurt:
- 1/2 cup plain whole fat Greek yogurt
- Handful of berries (strawberries and blueberries)
For the trail mix:
- 1oz raw mixed nuts
- 5 golden raisins
- Spread the tortilla with hummus, line with lettuce, tomato slices and chicken breast. Wrap and slice in half.
- Wash and pack the cut veggies in plastic container. Pack the hummus in a small container.
- Pack the yogurt in a small container and top with the berries.
- Mix the raw nuts with the raisins and pack in a small container or bag.
- Don’t forget to pack a container of water and a napkin!
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 547 calories, 19g fat, 39g carbohydrate, 12g fiber, and 55g protein.
Brien Shamp BS CSCS CMT CHEK NLC II
Become a Fan of Brien Shamp’s Personal Training, Nutrition & Lifestyle Coaching on Facebook and SF Bay Area Fit Body Boot Camp on Facebook
Please write me a review on YELP for Brien Shamp’s Personal Training, Nutrition & Lifestyle Coaching or SF Bay Area Fit Body Boot Camp