Today, I have a guest Blogger, Billy Beck @ www.Billybeck.com Billy is a friend of mine and is a kick-ass personal trainer from Florida. Back in 1999, we met each other at the Met-Rx World’s Best Personal Trainer Contest. Billy won the World’s Best Personal Trainer award for the weight loss category two years in a row and trains top athletes and actors. Take a look at his article below:
This time of year many people catch colds and the flu. Is it because there are more germs and viruses surrounding you? Let’s think about this. You have two people you work side by side every day. Both are exposed to the exact same environment-the same germs and viruses. Why is it one of the people gets sick and the other does not? The answer is simple. The STRENGTH of your IMMUNE System determines whether you get sick or not.
The lie we have been fed is that there are viruses, germs and flu bugs seeking us out with only one mission to get us sick. The truth is that we are surrounded by germs all of the time. Viruses live inside of our bodies. When the immune system is STRONG viruses and germs don’t stand a chance. Our bodies beat them into submission.
It is only when we abuse our bodies and beat down our IMMUNE system we become sick. Coughing¦sore throat¦aches¦snotty nose…sleepless nights. So how do you get your IMMUNE system STRONG and keep it there?
Here’s some facts you must know:
1. 80% of IMMUNE function is found in the gut and intestines. If digestion is not optimal, your immune function is compromised. Look in any drugstore and you will find shelves upon shelves of over the counter medications to alleviate the systems of poor digestion. Gorging yourself with processed garbage foods and downing diet sodas, chemical laden snacks and Mocha Choca lattes is the way of most people and as a result their immune system has the strength of an infant.
2. Stress lowers IMMUNE function. Physical stress like overtraining and poor sleep and even changes in weather can lower immune function. Emotional stress takes an even greater toll on immunity. Its no wonder happy people tend to be healthier than sad and angry people.
3. Alcohol, Sugar and foods containing white flour lower immune function.
It is no wonder the Holiday season is the time when a lot people become coughing, snorting, sleepless snot factories. Think about it¦ From Thanksgiving to New Years what happens? Lots of stress. Too much food. Lots of processed food is eaten. Cookies, cakes, pies, candy, Alcohol flows freely, STRESS, Missed workouts, Less Sleep, More STRESS. You get the picture. To keep your IMMUNE system STRONG LIKE BULL be certain to take these steps.
1. Stay Hydrated. Drink at least ½ your body weight in ounces of water each day. This amount of water not only keeps your body cleansed and energized but it also speeds metabolism and keeps testosterone levels optimized.
2. Exercise at least 3 times per week. This is a bare minimum.
Check the video for a super fast and effective full body workout that you can do anywhere: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwdp3iimIp8
3. To reduce stress¦plan ahead. Most stress is created as a result of not being prepared. When not prepared we REACT in an unresourceful manner. Often with anger, frustration or other emotions that we later regret which all lead to lowered immunity. Plan ahead. It will be the best 3-minute investment you ever made.
4. Chill out. Don’t take yourself so seriously. Realize that life is AWESOME. If you focus on shit sooner or later you will step in shit. If you seek out the greatness in all then life becomes almost magical.
5. Try supplements that support immune function like Whey Protein from organically raised cows. I have not gotten a cold or the flu in years. In addition to the other four tactics above I start my day with 2 scoops of Chocolate Post Training Protein mixed with 10 grams of Glutamine. I often add in Greens-X or a shot of wheat grass too. This combination contains immunoglobins that STRENGTHEN the immune system. Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid found in muscle tissue. In times of stress it can become depleted resulting in suppressed immune function. Supplementing with glutamine helps prevents this from occurring.
Coughing¦sore throat¦aches¦snotty nose…sleepless nights is caused by stress, eating processed garbage foods, alcohol and being pessimistic.
You can combat it simply by nourishing your mind and body with the 5 steps above.
Until Next Time my friends,
Billy Beck III