It’s bathing suit season and you want flat abs to flaunt. While I commend your desire to slim down before baring it all, I’m here to warn you of the 5 myths that most people believe. Don’t waste your time on these: Myth #1: Take diet pills to speed results.I know it’s so tempting! The ads make compelling claims about the power of popping a pill, but don’t fall for it. There is no ‘magic pill’. Diet pills are more likely to burn through your pocketbook than to slim you down.
- Tip: Don’t pop a pill – instead burn calories with short bursts of intense exercise (20-30s intervals is all you need).
Myth #2: Do extra crunches to flatten your abs.Excessive crunches aren’t the answer for tight abs. In order to achieve a toned look you’ll have to focus on burning off the layer of fat that is covering up your tummy.
- Tip: Don’t obsess about crunches – instead focus on fat burning.
Myth #3: Turn to packaged diet products to boost results.Don’t fall for the foods that are packaged as ‘diet’ or ‘weight loss’ aids. Quite often these products are packed with refined sugar and other artificial ingredients that your body doesn’t need, and certainly won’t help you attain that tight tummy.
- Tip: Don’t eat packaged diet foods – instead stick with nutritious whole foods.
Myth #4: Avoid all carbohydrates in order to achieve tight abs.Carbohydrates have been given a bad rap, which is unfortunate because you can (and should) eat carbs while slimming down. The key is to stick with whole grains that are gluten free like quinoa, Bob’s Red Mill Oatmeal and brown rice while avoiding processed and refined flours and sugars (see the recipe below for Power Oatmeal). Fruits and vegetables should be your key carbohydrate sources.
- Tip: Don’t give up all carbohydrates – instead stick with wholesome carbs. Get full on veggies.
Myth #5: Starve the chub away. Trying to lose weight by starving yourself is not only ineffective it can also be dangerous. It may seem that severe calorie restriction would deliver the quickest weight loss, but your body is complex and by doing so you’ll disrupt your metabolism and slow your results.
- Tip: Don’t starve yourself – instead eat small wholesome meals throughout the day.
Now that you know what not to do in order to achieve tight abs, it’s time to go over your flat tummy game plan. Here’s what you need to know in 3 simple steps:
- Step One: No more junk. The best way to do this is by purging your kitchen (I would love to do this for you). Throw out the sugary, processed and fat-filled foods. Once the junk has been cleared out, don’t buy any more of it. Remember that your beach-ready abs depend on what you eat – don’t eat junk!
- Step Two: Eat whole foods. Replace the junk food in your life with plenty of the following: cooked and raw vegetables, fresh fruits, whole gluten free grains, moderate amounts of seeds and nuts, lean meats and raw dairy. Clean eating really is that simple.
- Step Three: Come train and do a DETOX Program with me. This is the most obvious step. You’re ready to get into great shape and I’m in a unique position to make that happen for you. Call 650-654-4604 or reply to this email to get started on an exercise or nutrition plan that will get you those amazing abs.