Thanksgiving is over, but there are more holiday celebrations around the corner. You know what this typically means: a high-calorie feast. But it doesn’t have to be this way – this recipe from Mayo Clinic shows a lighter fare can be just as delicious, without piling on extra pounds.
Ingredients for 12 people:
One 5-pound whole, bone-in turkey breast (thawed)
• 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
• 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
• 2 tablespoons olive oil.
• 1 small onion, thinly sliced
• 1 apple, peeled and thinly sliced
• 1 pear, peeled and thinly sliced
• 1/4 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
• 2 cups apple juice (divided)
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon brown mustard
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Place the turkey breast, skin side up, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the herbs and the olive oil to make a paste. Loosen the skin from the meat gently with your fingers — making two deep pockets between the skin and meat. Smear half of the paste directly on the meat. Spread the remaining paste evenly over the top of the skin.
- In another small bowl, mix together the sliced onions and fruit. Stuff each pocket with the mixture.
- Pour 1 cup of apple juice into the bottom of the roasting pan. Roast the turkey breast for 1 3/4 to 2 hours, until the skin is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer registers 165 F when inserted into the thickest and meatiest areas of the breast. If the skin is over-browning, cover the breast loosely with aluminum foil.
- In the meantime, combine the remaining cup of apple juice, brown sugar, mustard and olive oil in a sauce pan. Heat to boiling, reduce the heat and simmer until it becomes thickened and reduced in volume to about 3/4 cup. Use this to baste the turkey during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- When the turkey is done, cover with foil and allow it to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes. Carve, serve and spoon any remaining glaze over the turkey.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
Serving size: 6-ounce portion
Calories 346 Cholesterol 100 mg
Protein 40 g Sodium 112 mg
Carbohydrate 15 g Fiber 1 g
Total fat 14 g Potassium 95 mg
Saturated fat 4 g Calcium 13 mg
Monounsaturated fat 2 g
Motivate your friends, family and co-workers! Use the “refer a friend” link below to forward this newsletter and subscribe your friends.