Group Personal Training Burlingame Boot Camp 1/19/15: 2015 I Am A Priority Transformation Day 9: 30s of Total Body Fun
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response)à digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Phase 2: Extended Child’s Pose/Drawing In Maneuver
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in child’s pose position with arms extended: Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall to thighs)–>rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 15s each breath (5s inhale (belly falls)–> 5s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging- avoid rounding back). This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine.
Phase 3: Core Work (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets (Total Time: 3:30)
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
1. Seated Russian Twists *Extend arms to make harder *Sit tall with lengthened spine- avoid flexion in spine *Feet off ground *2B’s
2. Prone Cobra *Externally rotate shoulder *Hold 2s *Squeeze butt at top *Straight legs *2B’s *Look straight
3. Crunches with Legs Straight Up (flexed feet) *Touch fingers to toes *3B’s *Look at abdomen *Tongue on roof of mouth
Phase 3: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 2 & 3 above and immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
This is a group body weight workout. Everyone will do the same thing at the same time. Perform the following workout for as many rounds as possible. This is a non-stop workout for 9- 30s intervals but participants can go at their own speed and intensity as usual. After all 9 movements, allow the campers 1 minute rest/recovery. Everyone will start at the first movement:Walk/Jog/Sprint: 30s and then move down the list. Each movement will be 30s. The Walk/Jog/Sprint can be done stationary or campers can run back & forth.
Set APP for 30s work and 0s rest; 1 min recovery after each round
1. Walk/Jog/Sprint: 30s *Relax heels
2. Squats: 30s *Hinge from hip- flat back *2B’s
3. Push Hold with Tuck Jump: 30s *In push up position bring both knees forward and back z*Knees barely off ground *3B’s *Shoulders back & down *Corkscrew elbows *Modify with Mountain Climbers
4. Walk/Jog/Sprint: 30s
5. Prisoner Walking Lunges: 30s *3B’s *Shoulders back & down *Squeeze shoulder blades
6. Pulling Movements (TRX Rows, Pull-ups, Equalizer Rows): 30s *Shoulders back & down *2B’s
7. Walk/Jog/Sprint: 30s
8. Split Squat Jumps: 30s each side *bigger the stride = easier on the knees *modify with back lunges *3B’s *Shoulders back & down
9. Downward Dog Modified Handstand Push-Up *In downward dog position on toes- keep legs straight *Shoulders back & down *2B’s
Circle Time: Cool down & stretch (5 minutes)
Are you up for a challenge. Sign up for the 2015 “I Am A Priority Transformation Challenge” : https://brienshamp.com/programs/transformation-challenge/
Your friend & coach,