Group Personal Training Burlingame Boot Camp 1/24/15: 2015 I Am A Priority Transformation Day 14: Saturday Obstacle Challenge
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response)à digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Phase 2: Deep Squat Position Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in deep squat: Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall)–>rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (5s inhale (belly falls)–> 5 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging- avoid rounding back). This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine. As they continue to breathe and relax they should feel their heels going closer to the ground and their hips opening.
Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest for 8 sets
Phase 3: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
1. Bicycle Crunch *Fingers outside eyebrows *3B’s *Move from core *Tongue on roof of mouth *Bring legs lower to make harder
2. One Leg Bridge (RT Side) *Keep hips level *Start with feet together
3. One Leg Bridge (LT Side) *Keep hips level *Start with feet together
4. Plank with Hip Ext (alt. legs ) *3B’s *Keep legs straight
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps if possible or pick similar movement pattern *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 2 & 3 above and do what’s left in phase 4. Assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
Set APP for 30s work and 15s rest for 6 sets; 30-60s recovery after each round (Approx. workout time is 35 Minutes)
WOD: Alternate the following 8 movement two at a time for 6 sets and then move on to next two movements, etc. Perform each movement for 30s and recover for 15s. Recovery is the transition between the two movements.
1. Long Jump Burpess (hit ground to chest) *Start and end with arms overhead *Lead with hips *Keep core tight
2. MB Standing Shot Put (3 sets each side) *Shot put MB into high target as hard as possible- total body movement *Pivot back foot *MB should stay shoulder height *Power comes from footàkneeàhipàtrunkàarms in that order
3. Rope Climb to the top or Climbing in Bridge Positionà Stand *Keep tension on arms *3B’s *Relax shoulders
4. Over-Unders Equalizers *Each camper has their own equalizer *Go over the equalizer, then back underàrepeat
5. Cargo Net Climb*2 campers can climb on each side of the net *Alternative: Hang on net for 30 or TRX Row
6. Dynamic Step-Ups (3 sets each side) with each side *Posture *3B’s *Set up a variety of step heights
7. Monkey Bar Traverse (3 sets each direction) *Hang on bars and reach laterally *Modify with hang or Grab heavy Db’s in each hand and hold for 30s *3B’s
8. Glider Truck Push- Hands on Gliders *Drive feet into ground to move forward
Circle Time: Cool down & stretch (5 minutes)
If you can’t see the video above go to: Boot Camp BLOG
Please add your comments below on the workout.
Are you up for a challenge. Sign up for the 2015 “I Am A Priority Transformation Challenge” : https://brienshamp.com/programs/transformation-challenge/
Your friend & coach,