Group Fitness Training San Carlos Boot Camp 2/6/15: “ I Am A Priority Transformation” Challenge T-79 Days: TABATA Friday!
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response)à digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Phase 2: Cat-Cow Position Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver (1 Min)
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in cat-cow. Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall) –>rib cage and then chest while performing cow, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (3s inhale (belly falls)–> 3 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging while performing cat. This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine.
Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest for 6 sets
Phase 3: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
1. Push-Up Hold with Tuck*3B’s *Knees barely off ground *Shoulders down & back – lock *Educate about core stability needed in #5 in wod *Modify with Mountain Climber
2. Prone Cobra *Squeeze shoulder blades and hold for 2s
3. One Leg V-Ups *Start with arms overhead, legs extended and 3B’sàBring one leg up as high as possible with legs straight and touch toesà back to start and switch sides *Bend knees for modification *Look down
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 3 above and 4 as needed and assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 20s work time, 10s rest, 8 sets, 30s transition time after all 8 sets are complete
1. Fast Side Step on Bosu/Reebok Step/Mat/Step *Stay low *2B’s *Keep center of gravity (belly) over mat *One foot is always on bosu/mat/step
2. SB/Plate/DB Bent Over Rows *Hinge from the hip *2B’s *Keep hands lower than chest *Shoulders down & back *Squeeze shoulder blades at end ROM *Studio: Do in Monkey Bar Room
3. MB/SB Walking Lunges with Rotation *Rotate MB/SB over front knee *3B’s *Rotate from core *Extend arms to make harder *Slight forward lean
4. Square Drill-Fwd, Shuffle, Back, Shuffle *Short distance for cones *Stay low and be in control
5. TRX Jack Knife Push-up *Just perform jack knife or plank for those who need to modify *Shoulders down & back *3B’s
6. MB Wall Ball *Hinge from the hip *Get low *2B’s *Throw the ball high and hard into wall or catch ball after throwing in air *Challenge with heavy ball
7. Sprint Holding Sandbag/MB *RopeFlex at Studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leVeI4AS_X8 *Stand close to rope device and pull one hand after the over as fast as possible *Core should rotate also *Strong athletic position
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge. Sign up for the 2015 “I Am A Priority Transformation Challenge” : https://brienshamp.com/programs/transformation-challenge/