Group Fitness Training Burlingame Boot Camp 2/16/15: “ I Am A Priority Transformation” Challenge T- 69 Days: 6 Station Partner Rotation
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response)à digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Phase 2: Deep Squat Position Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in deep squat: Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall)–>rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (5s inhale (belly falls)–> 5 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging- avoid rounding back). This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine. As they continue to breathe and relax they should feel their heels going closer to the ground and their hips opening.
Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest for 6 sets
Phase 3: Partner Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets (Total Time: 3:30)
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
1. Partner Plank with High Five *In elbow plank position high five partner-opp. hand-alt *Push into partners hand and hold for 2s *3B’s *Wide feet *educate about #5
2. Partner Lower Ab Curl/Pelvic Lift *3 B’s *Partners anchor forearms- keep shoulders on ground *Emphasize controlling the movement down *Curl pelvis and attempt to touch each other’s feet at the top. *Increase intensity by keeping legs straight
3. Partner Sit Up with High Five Opp. Hand *Push into partners hand and hold for 2s *3 B’s *Avoid coming all the way up and resting ab’s *Wide feet *Dig heels *Look down *Move close to each other *Tongue on roof of mouth
Phase 4: Primal Movements –Review the following movements in the WOD below for 5 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 3 above and 4 as needed and assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
WOD: Perform the following (6 Station) Primary Movements (PM) below for 40s intervals and follow with Active Rest Movement (ARM) for 40s for 3 sets each station, then rotate to next station. All Boot Campers will perform same ARM as a group; however, you can accommodate twice as many campers if half the group does the PM and the other half does ARM. Transition time is 10sbetween PM & ARM and so they need to move quickly.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 40s work time, 10s rest, 6 sets, 30s transition time after all 3 sets are complete for PM & ARM
PM (40s x 3 Sets):
1. MB Partner Lunge (rt side 20sà lt side 20s) *Make the MB’s challenging *3B’s *This is a forward lunge with a MB handoff *Move the ball around if partners are proficient *Shoulders back & down
2. MB Partner Wheel Barrow (20s each) *Partner on ground needs to maintain a strong plank-avoid arch in back or back ext. *Keep shoulders back & down *Hands under shoulders *Standing partner holds leg and goes at speed of partner on the ground- SLOW! *Standing partner needs to keep 3B’s also with shoulders back & down *Modify with beast
3. Squat Hold with MB/SB Handoff *Get low *Hinge from hips *If 4 people, make a circle and hand ball off (20s each direction) *Use heavy SB/MB *2B’s
4. Partner Mirror Drill (20s each leading the movement while other follows) *Tell them to focus on strength moves
5. Partner Band Rows & Squat *Both partner perform a squat and row while coming up- squeeze shoulder blades at top *Shoulders back & down *Neutral grip *Hinge from hips *2 B’s *Studio: Use Trip Trainer
6. Partner Push-Ups with High Five *Push into partners hand and hold for 2s *Wide feet *At end of push-up high five right hand to right hand and alt. *Modify with no push-up options *Lock *Shoulders back & down *3B’s
ARM (40s x 3 Sets): Perform in circuit and repeat.
Give each partner set a tennis ball. Whoever has a pocket can put the ball in their pocket until needed.
*Only perform 3 sets of cardio
1. Partner Tennis Ball Reaction Drill (20s each) *Stay low in athletic position *Relax heels *Hinge from hips *2B’s *Challenge partner right to left, high to low, on ground and in air
2. Partner Plank & In-In-Out Footwork (Taller person is doing plank on elbows with feet wide and shorter person is performing In-In-Out Footwork within legs of planking partner) (20s each) See 2:25 of video here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hwW1SPLH8s *3B’s
3. High Knee Run Drill & Down-Ups (touch ground with chest-not a push-up) *Coach says down *Toes up
4. Partner Tennis Ball Reaction Drill (20s each) *Stay low in athletic position *Relax heels *Hinge from hips *2B’s *Challenge partner right to left, high to low, on ground and in air
5. Partner Plank & In-In-Out Footwork (Taller person is doing plank on elbows with feet wide and shorter person is performing In-In-Out Footwork within legs of planking partner) (20s each) See 2:25 of video here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hwW1SPLH8s *3B’s
6. High Knee Run Drill & Down-Ups (touch ground with chest-not a push-up) *Coach says down *Toes up
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge. Sign up for the 2015 “I Am A Priority Transformation Challenge” : https://brienshamp.com/programs/transformation-challenge/
Your friend & coach,