Group Fitness Trainer Burlingame Boot Camp 3/21/15: I Am A Priority Challenge T- 36 & Skinny Jean Program Day 20: Saturday Bonus Workout
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Add in more wrist mobility work *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response)–> digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Phase 2: Cat-Cow Position Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver (1 Min)
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in cat-cow. Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall) –>rib cage and then chest while performing cow, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (3s inhale (belly falls)–> 3 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging while performing cat. This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine.
*Review WOD below during Phase 2 & 3 as needed. Assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 3 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 40s work time, 15s rest, 8 sets
Alternate the following 8 Bonus (complimentary movements to balance out body based upon week of boot camp) exercises two at a time for 4 rounds, 40s each with 15s transition time:
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
1. Ropeflex Lateral Pull & Rotate (20s each side): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qpxdd-hPac&feature=youtu.be *Weight shift front leg to back leg with movement *Lock Shoulders Back & Down Move from core *3B’s *Stay close to device
2. Squat with Hand to Opp. Foot *Stay in squat position *Hinge from hips *2B’s *Easiest to explain movement by telling campers to keep one foot on a line
3. Rip Trainer Standing Horizontal Trunk Rotations (20s each side) *Back hand palm up, front hand palm down *Weight shift back leg to front leg with movement *Lock Shoulders Back & Down *Pivot back foot *Move from core *3B’s
- MB Slams *Follow through into ground *Hinge from hips *2B’s *Do not use bouncy balls
5. Battle Ropes: Big Backwards Arm Circles with Squat *Lower into squat with backwards circle *Hinge from hips *2B’s *Relax shoulders
- Standing MB Chest Pass (20s) & Add Reaction Component (20s) *Pass MB to Partner *Cue to keep hands open in front of chest *3B’s *Relax heels
- MB/SB Single Leg Deadlifts (20s each) *2B’s *Hinge from hips-flat back *Start with feet together *Spread toes and feel ground *Eyes straight *Explain the need to engage core to stabilize back – modify with single leg bridges
8. Stationary Side Step with Band-Straight Legs *3 B’s *Lock Shoulders Back & Down *Have groups hand bands to each other
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,