Group Personal Training Burlingame Boot Camp 3/23/15: I Am A Priority Challenge T- 34 & Skinny Jean Program Day 22: Monday Descending Pyramid
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Add in more wrist mobility work *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response) >> digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Phase 2: Breathing Squats (NEW)
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while performing breathing squats: Start by standing with feet shoulder width and everted. Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall) >> rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest >> hinge from hips and lower hips to ground while exhaling >> inhale as you stand upright repeat *Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (3s inhale (belly falls) >> 3 s hold >> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine) * As they continue to breathe, squat and relax, they should feel their hips lowering, heels going closer to the ground and hips opening.
Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest for 6 sets
Phase 3: Core (Alternate the following movements for 45s in a circuit with a 10s transition for 2 Sets
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
1. Shoulder Tap Plank Hold *Planl position with wide feet as needed >>Right Hand Taps Left Shoulder >> Left Hand Taps Right Shoulder >> Repeat *3B’s *Shoulders back & down *Legs engaged- avoid bent knees
2. Supine Backwards Roll *Emphasize movement from core *Arms straight and to sides of body *Start sitting on sit bones with lengthened spine > >Roll backwards to shoulders >> Roll back to sitting fast with feet on ground >> Repeat *3B’s *Feet together *Educate about deck squat below *Back slow, up fast
*Review WOD below during Phase 3 & 4 as needed. Assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
Complete the following 7 exercises in a circuit for 4 rounds. We will do a descending pyramid for each round. 15s transition time between each movement. 30-60s transition between each round.
Round #1: 50s each exercise
Round #2: 40s each exercise
Round #3: 30s each exercise
Round #4: 20s each exercise
1. SB Front Loaded Step-Ups (switch sides at half way) *Keep majority of weight on the foot that is on the step and barely touch foot to ground on other leg – heel doesn’t touch *Raise height of step to make harder as tolerated *2B’s *Slight forward lean
2. Deck Squat- Burpee (chest hits the ground) *Modification – raise up surface with a mat *Start and end with arms overhead *Perform deck squat and then burpee *2B’s *Studio- place steps/big mats to be used by those that need it *Stay tight *3B’s *Shoulders back & down *Avoid rolling on neck *Educate about modifications *The goal is to make it look effortless
3. DB Renegade Row (switch sides at half way or alt. sides if you have two db’s) *Push-up position–> do a 1 arm row ) *Wide feet *Squeeze shoulder blades and hold for 2 s *3B’s *Shoulders back & down *Studio: Perform in Monkey Bar Room
4. Reverse Lunge with Reach (switch sides at half way) *Keep arms straight and get a good stretch up & back at the bottom of each lunge 3B’s-tuck *Shoulders back & down *Move from center of gravity (belly) *Keep hands up *Inhale –step Exhale- back
5. Hindu Push-Up *Start in downward dog on tippy toesàdive bomb into cobraàgo straight back into down dog *3B’s *Lock shoulders back & down *Corkscrew elbows *Modify with plank or push-up hold as needed *Avoid push-ups on knees
6. Prisoner Sumo Jump Squats *2B’s *Hinge from hips *Shoulders back & down-squeeze shoulder blades *Hands behind head *Wide feet *Toes out *Get low *Modify with Prisoner Squat
7. MB Reverse Wood Chops Kneel-Stand with Pivot (switch sides at half way) *Start kneeling, hinge from hip and pick up weight, stand, weight shift, pivot, bring weight to shoulder height > > repeat *Move from core *Arms straight to make harder *Shoulders back & down- relax shoulders *2B’s
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,