Group Personal Training Burlingame Boot Camp 3/25/15: I Am A Priority Challenge T- 33 & Skinny Jean Program Day 24: Try This Total Body TABATA and Burn Over 500 Calories!
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Add in more wrist mobility work *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response) > digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Phase 2: Breathing Squats (NEW)
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while performing breathing squats: Start by standing with feet shoulder width and everted. Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall) > rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest > hinge from hips and lower hips to ground while exhaling > inhale as you stand upright repeat *Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (3s inhale (belly falls) > 3 s hold > 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine) * As they continue to breathe, squat and relax, they should feel their hips lowering, heels going closer to the ground and hips opening.
Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest for 6 sets
Phase 3: Core (Alternate the following movements for 45s in a circuit with a 10s transition for 2 Sets
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
- Lateral Beast (15s each direction) *On all 4’s with knees in line with hands- spread fingers *Move right hand- left leg, left hand –right leg *Push hands into ground to extend upper back *Engage lats by corkscrewing elbows *Shoulders back & down-Lock *Educate here about core stability *3 B’s *Modify on elbows for those with wrist issues
- Supine 1 Leg Bridges with Arm Raise (15s each side) *Feet under knees & knees together *Bridge up with arms overhead > squeeze butt & lift shoulder blades off ground *Hold squeeze for 1-2s at top
- Prone Sea Turtles *2Bs *Start prone with arms overheadà lift arms (do your best to relax shoulders), extend back and lift legs off ground > while in extended position bring arms from overhead position to thighs with palms up while simultaneously abducting thighs as far as possible > brings arms and thighs back to center > lower body back to ground >repeat
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 3 & 4 as needed. Assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 20s work time, 10s rest, 6-8 sets, 30s transition time after all 6-8 sets are complete
TABATA: Perform each exercise for 20s with 10 s rest for 6- 8 sets total, complete 1 exercise for 6-8 sets and move to the next one. Approx. 30s rest in between exercises
- SB/Plate/KB Sumo Deadlift High Pull *Keep in mind that a traditional deadlift is what we generally call a squat. Deadlift is picking up a “dead” object from the ground with bent knees *Hinge from hips *Arms straight till ext of hips *Majority of movement is from the lower body *Hands only need to go as high as chest *2B’s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjRB2mcTiMI *Studio: Perform in Monkey Bar Room
- 3 Cone Lateral Weave Agility Drill *Stay low *Quick feet *Relax heels *Weave lateral in & out of 3 cones *2 people can use the same cones *If room allows and there is good coordination/body awareness, combine with MB Chest Pass
- Glider Jack Knife- Push-Up *Lock Shoulders Back & Down *Elbows In *Maintain plank *Keep head up *3B’s *Modify with Glider Jack Knife
- TRX 1 Leg Squats *Perform on 2 Legs to make easier * Start with feet close *Hinge from hips *2B’s *Arms help the legs as needed *Get low *Use TRX only as needed *Avoid knee going beyond ankle
- Pull-Ups (Neutral Grip) *Lock Shoulders Back & Down *3B’s
- 3 Cone Triangle Reaction Drill *4 Sets Each *Partner Calls Cone 1, 2 or 3 or the color of cone- other partner runs to cone and runs back to center *Stay Low *Partner calling does jumping jacks, burpees or cardio of your choice *Relax heels
- Forward – Backwards Lunges with Opp. Arm Drive (4 Sets Each Side) *3 B’s *Slight Forward Lean Like a Sprinter’s Lunge *Explode up
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,