Group Fitness Training Burlingame Boot Camp 4/8/15: I Am A Priority Challenge T- 19: Try This Combo TABATA Fat Loss Program
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Add in more wrist mobility work *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response) > digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Phase 2: Supine Double Knee to Chest Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in supine double knee to chest position. Initiate breathing with belly (feel it press into thighs)–>rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (5s inhale (belly falls)–> 5 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging). This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine. As they continue to breathe and relax they should feel their knees going closer to the chest.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest, 6 total sets for Phases 2
Phase 2: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets (Total Time: 3:30)
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
1. Supine Crunch with Lateral Reach *Crunch up–>reach to right foot–>center–>reach to left foot *Look down *Wide feet *Shoulders back & down *3 B’s
2. Bench Crunch *Shoulders back & down *3 B’s *Lower and extend legs to make harder *Modify by grabbing knees to chest in seated position with feet off ground – Keep spine lengthened
3. Prone Prisoner Cobra *Hold 30s *Shoulders back & down- squeeze shoulder blades *Feet & legs stay on ground *2B’s
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 3 & 4 as needed. After Phase 4 boot campers, assign the campers stations. Immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 20s work time, 10s rest, 16 sets, 30s transition time after all 16 sets are complete
TABATA: Perform each Tabata Combo for 16 sets before moving on (4 minutes each exercise-8 minutes each station).
For example in #1: 20 seconds of 5 yard lateral shuffle, 10 sec rest, 20 sec Rows, 10 sec rest, 20 sec 5 yard lateral shuffle, 10 sec rest, 20 sec Rows, and so on until you reach 4 minutes of each exercise (8 sets of each.) ALLOW approximately 1 min rest after each numbered Tabata (depending on group).
· Tabata #1: 5 Yard Lateral Cone Drill with Down-Ups *Down-ups at each cone *Stay low *Relax heels *Chest up & Plate/SB/DB/KB Bent Over Rows *Squeeze shoulder blades at end range of motion *2B’s *Get low *Hinge from hips- flat back *Lock shoulders back & down *3B’s – stay tight *Studio: Perform Rows in Monkey Bar Room
· Tabata #2 Sandbag Bear Hug Squats *Squeeze shoulder blades *2B’s *Get low *Hinge from hips & MB Slams with Pivot *Use whole body and slam into ground to right & left -pivot feet to increase power *Get low *3B’s
· Tabata #3: Walking Lunges with MB Rotation *Rotate over front knee *3B’s & Push-Up with Glider V-Outs *Glide legs out with descent of push up, glide legs in on asscent *Elbows in *Lock shoulders back & down *3B’s
· TABATA #4 (Group) Finish with Sprints – Liner Drill in Tabata Format *Split group so half the group is working and half is resting (20s/20s). Cheer each other on!
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,