Group Fitness Trainer Burlingame Boot Camp 4/17/15: I Am A Priority Challenge T- 9: 8×8 Challenge Day Monday
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Add in more wrist mobility work *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response) > digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Phase 2: Child’s Pose Position Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in child’s pose with extended arms: Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall into thighs)–>rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (5s inhale (belly falls)–> 5 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging- avoid rounding back). This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine. As they continue to breathe and relax they should feel their chest going closer to the ground.
Phase 3: NONE
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Warm-up for no more than 10 minutes as the campers will continue to warm-up for the first few sets of the workout below given the design. Instruct them to gradually increase intensity given skill, fitness and injuries.
*Review WOD below during Phase 3 & 4 as needed. Immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.<
Campers team up with a partner or small group and perform the following 8 exercises for 1 rep, then 2 reps, then 3 reps, to reach all the way to 8 reps each. Any order is fine. Campers can rest when needed, but their overall goal is to finish this workout in their best time possible. *Those that finish early can do 20s sprints 6-8x
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
1. 1 Sandbag Squat (any position) *2B’s *Hinge from hips *Shoulders back & down *Get as low as possible
2. 1 Hindu Push-Up *Start in downward dog on tippy toes > dive bomb into cobra (head, nose, chin) > go straight back into down dog *3B’s *Lock shoulders back & down
3. 1 Full Sit-up *Dig heels *Look at abdomen *3B’s *Bring elbows to groin with hands to sides of head- no pulling on neck *Tongue on roof of mouth
4. 1 Reverse Lunge with Reach Up & Back – EACH Leg *Keep arms straight and get a good stretch up & back at the bottom of each lunge 3B’s *Shoulders back & down *Move from center of gravity (belly) *Keep hands up
5. 1 Prisoner Sumo Jump Squats *2B’s *Hinge from hips *Shoulders back & down-squeeze shoulder blades *Hands behind head *Wide feet *Toes out *Get low
6. 1 DB Renegade Row– EACH arm (push-up position–> do a 1 arm row ) *Wide feet *Only 1 DB is needed per person – Hand on top of DB > perform rows > repeat on other side *Squeeze shoulder blades and hold for 2 s *3B’s *Shoulders back & down *Studio: Peform in Monkey Bar Room
7. 1 Deck Squat – Burpee (chest hits the ground) * (modification – raise up surface with a mat or get up by bending one leg) *When rolling back it is easier when arms are straight overhead * Start the first deck squat from a standing position but after that no need to stand up again. Go from deck squat right to burpee *2B’s *Avoid rolling back on neck *Studio- place steps/big mats to be used by those that need it
8. 1 One-legged Deadlift (Straight leg)– EACH leg *Can use SB/Plate/MB *2B’s *Hinge from hip *Shoulders back & down-squeeze shoulder blades
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,