Group Fitness Trainer Burlingame Boot Camp 5/1/15: First Day of May 6 Station Rotation
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Add in more wrist mobility work *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response) > digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Phase 2: Supine Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in supine position. Initiate breathing with belly (place one hand on belly and the other on chest)–>rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (5s inhale (belly falls)–> 5 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging). This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine. As they continue to breathe and relax they should feel their arms and legs letting go like a rag doll.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest, 6 sets for Phase 2
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
Phase 2: Core (Perform the following movements for 40s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets
1. Supine Lower Ab Corkscrew *Hands under tailbone *Legs together with straight legs (Circle both legs to right > circle both legs to left > repeat) *3 B’s *Lower legs or make circle bigger to increase intensity *3B’s *Lift shoulder blades and head to increase intensity but look down
2. Dancing Crab with Bridge *Bridge position on hands and feet- turn hands out *Lock! *Reach hand towards opposite foot *Drop hips after each rep and lift again. *Hands under shoulders *Feet under knees
3. Prone T Superman *Hold for 5s *Squeeze everything *Relax neck
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 3 & 4 as needed. Assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
WOD: Perform the following (6 Station) Primary Movements (PM) below for 40s intervals and follow with Active Rest Movement (ARM) for 40s for 3 sets each station, then rotate to next station. All Boot Campers will perform same ARM as a group; however, you can accommodate twice as many campers if half the group does the PM and the other half does ARM. Transition time is 5s between PM & ARM and so they need to move quickly.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 40s work time, 5s rest, 6 sets, 30s transition time after all 3 sets are complete for PM & ARM, 36 total sets for workout.
PM (40s x 3 Sets):
- MB Prone One Arm Push-Ups (Alt. Sides) *Hand on top of MB and under shoulder – find the harder MB’s to reduce wrist strain *Roll MB to other hand after push-up to make easier *Wide feet *Keep shoulders back & down *Corkscrew elbows *Modify with just a ball push from right to left hand
- Squat Hold with Reverse Lunge (Alternate Sides) *Hold MB/SB to increase intensity or go lower *Hinge from hip *Move from core as you step back into lunge *Shoulders back & down *2B’s
- TRX One Arm Row with Rotation (20s each side) *Maintain great posture – Lock *Relax shoulders *Squeeze for 2 s at top of motion
- MB Partner Chest Pass –> Burpee *Partners standing in athletic position, facing each other > Pass MB > Burpee > Repeat *Move feet until partner is ready to receive ball *Hinge from hips *2B’s *Arms extended in front of chest
- Equalizer/Beam Over Under *Use only one equalizer (20s each way) *Use beam at gymnastics facilities *Can use the same equalizer or beam
- Single Leg Pistol Squat (20s each side) *Hold onto something as needed and get as low as possible with butt *Hinge from hips *2B’s *Make sure knees don’t go beyond ankle *Studio- Use Ropeflex Machines *SMGC- Use Row Area
ARM (40s x 3 Sets):
*Perform one movement after the other in a circuit
1) Fast Run In Place – Coach calls wide feet > close feet > repeat *Drive arms
2) Frog Jumps *Feet wide *Touch ground and explode up with ankles, knees and hip extension *Reach for the sky and explode up *Modify with squat onto toes instead of jumping
3) Standing Whacky Jacks *3B’s *Stay tall *Open arms *Elbow to same side knee *Legs straight
4) Squat with Side Step *Opp. hand to foot *Stay in squat position *Cue campers to always keep one foot on a line and to keep switching *2B’s
5) Lateral Hops (20s each side) *A hop is one leg, a jump is done with two legs *Hop over a line with 1 foot *Use matt to soften load-Easier on the joints- Harder on the muscles
6) Shadow Boxing with Partner *No hitting each other *Relaxed heels *Hands up
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,