Boot Camp San Mateo Fitness Training 5/18/15: 6 Station Get Lean Rotation
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Add in more wrist mobility work *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response) > digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Phase 2: Wide Child’s Pose Position Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in child’s pose with wide knees & extended arms: Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall into thighs)–>rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (5s inhale (belly falls)–> 5 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging- avoid rounding back). This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine. As they continue to breathe and relax they should feel their chest going closer to the ground.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest, 6 sets for Phase 2
Phase 2: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets (Total Time: 3:30)
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
1. Supine V-ups *3B’s *Start with arms overhead and legs straight on ground (engage quads and groin to keep legs straight)àsimultaneously crunch upper body and bring legs off groundà attempt to touch toes *Legs straight *Bend knees for those that need to modify *Lower legs to increase intensity *Look at abdomen with crunch *Tongue on roof of mouth *3B’s
2. Hand Bridge Hold with Leg Extension *Alt leg every 3-5 s *Squeeze shoulder blades *Modify with regular supine bridge and turn hands as needed *3B’s
3. Prisoner Cobra (Hold 5s) *Keep lower body on ground *Shoulders back & down- squeeze shoulder blades *Thumbs up *2B’s *Look down
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 3 & 4 as needed. Assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
WOD: Perform the following (6 Station) Primary Movements (PM) below for 40s intervals and follow with Active Rest Movement (ARM) for 40s for 3 sets each station, then rotate to next station. All Boot Campers will perform same ARM as a group; however, you can accommodate twice as many campers if half the group does the PM and the other half does ARM. Transition time is 5s between PM & ARM and so they need to move quickly.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 40s work time, 5s rest, 6 sets, 30s transition time after all 3 sets are complete for PM & ARM, 36 total sets for workout.
PM (40s x 3 Sets):
1. Prisoner Step-Ups (20s Each Side) *3 B’s *Keep tuck *Explode up *Shoulders back & down *Squeeze shoulder blades *Raise or lower step as needed to allow good form *Keep weight on front foot
2. Standing Band Push & Rotate or Rip Trainer One Arm Press (20s Each Side) *One foot forward, one foot backwards for push & rotate *Lock shoulders back & down *3B’s *Studio: Rip Trainer with One Side at a Time, Athletic Stance
3. SB/MB/Plate Staggered Stance Good Morning (20s Each Side) *Lift heel of back foot *Hinge from hip *Shoulders back & down *Squeeze shoulder blades *2B’s *Flat back *Increase height of weight or size of weight to make harder *Studio: Monkey Bar Room
4. Battle Ropes: Single Arm Overhand Grip Wave on 1 Foot (20s Each Side) *Opp. Arm – Opp Leg *Lock shoulders back & down *Hinge from hips *Two people can share 1 rope
5. One Arm TRX Row (20s Each Side) *Avoid rotation *Lock shoulders back & down *Elbows in *3B’s
6. MB Partner Lunge (20s Each Side) *MB Handoff w/ Lunge- partners face each other *3 B’s *Keep tuck *Use heavy ball as tolerated
ARM (40s x 3 Sets):
*Perform one movement after the other in a circuit
1) Fast Run *Relax heels
2) Butt Kicks *3B’s
3) Jump Squats *Start and end with arms overhead
4) Forward- Back Jumps with 1 Foot (20s each foot) *Visualize jumping forward & back over a line *Stay Tight *Toes up *3B’s
5) Standing Mountain Climbers *Toes up *3B’s
6) Speed Skaters (hop from foot to foot laterally) *Stay low *2B’s *Flat back
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,