Boot Camp Burlingame Fitness Training 6/22/15: 21 Day Tummy Tuck Day 6: Total Body Monday!
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Add in more wrist mobility work *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response) > digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Phase 2: Supine Double Knee to Chest Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in supine double knee to chest position. Initiate breathing with belly (feel it press into thighs)–>rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (5s inhale (belly falls)–> 5 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging). This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine. As they continue to breathe and relax they should feel their knees going closer to the chest.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest, 6 sets for Phase 3
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
Phase 3: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets (Total Time: 3:30)
1. Lateral Bear (15s each direction) *Move laterally with opp. arm & leg * Knees barely off ground *On all 4’s *Corkscrew elbows *3B’s *Shoulders back & down *Widen feet as needed *Stay strong & stable
2. Forward- Backwards Ape *Sit with butt to heels *Reach with arms and move forward and back
3. Prone Hip Extension with Hip AB/AD *2B’s *Thighs off groundà abduct and adduct thighs and repeat *Look straight ahead
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD. Assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 40s work time, 20s rest, 7 sets, 30s transition time after all 7 sets are complete
WOD: Perform the following exercises in a circuit for 40 each for 4 rounds with 20s rest in between exercises:
1. Bench/Mat Single Leg Squat (20s each leg) *2B’s *Hinge from Hip *Sit as low as possible into mat *Feet together
2. Lateral Elbow Plank Crawl with Gliders On Feet (20s each direction) *3B’s (keep core tight) *Shoulders back & down *Widen feet as needed
3. Walking MB Shoulder Lunges (20s each side) *Hold MB on one shoulder and perform walking lunges *3B’s *Big step
4. Plank with Triceps Kickbacks (20s each side) *Keep hips stable *Use light plate or hold db *Wide Feet *3B’s *Keep elbows in *Studio: Monkey Bar Room
5. Battle Ropes-Underhand Alt. Wave with Laddering (Laddering is moving forwards & backwards while doing the wave) *2B’s *Hinge from Hip
6. Burpee Push-Up /Pull-Ups *3B’s *Jump up to pull-up bar after burpee *If unable to perform burpee do hang
7. Jump Rope with High Knees *Toes up- land on ball of foot- heels relaxed
*If not enough room at studio (change order and add after lunges) : X-Bike Intervals- Stand if toleratedà increase gear when standing or just stay seated and increase gear to challenge for 40s *There should be a smooth circle in peal motion with the right gear.
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,