Boot Camp Burlingame Fitness Training 6/26/15: 21 Day Tummy Tuck Day 10: Who Wants To Be A Spartan?
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Add in more wrist mobility work *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response) > digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Phase 2: Supine Double Knee to Chest Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in supine double knee to chest position. Initiate breathing with belly (feel it press into thighs)–>rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (5s inhale (belly falls)–> 5 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging). This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine. As they continue to breathe and relax they should feel their knees going closer to the chest.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest for 8 sets
Phase 2: Core (Perform the following movements for 25 reps each in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
1. Supine Horizontal Scissors *Count as a group up to 25 (1, 2,3 > 1, 1, 2, 3 >2, etc.) *Tongue on roof of mouth *Look at abdomen, not ceiling to relax neck *Crunch to increase intensity *Tongue on roof of mouth *Raise or lower legs to alter intensity
2. Side Lying Hip Ab & Ad (RT Side): 25 Each *Keep 3 B’s *Keep legs straight and hips stacked
3. Supine Crunches: 25 *3B’s *Look at abdomen *Tongue on roof of mouth *Wide fee *Dig heels
4. Side Lying Hip Ab & Ad (LT Side): 25 Each *Keep 3 B’s *Keep legs straight and hips stacked
Phase 3: Review exercises of WOD below for approx. 20s during Phase 3. After review boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own. Assign campers stations for the WOD below.
Perform the following workout for 35 minutes. This is a non-stop workout but participants can go at their own speed. Everyone will start either walking/jogging or sprinting for 30s or performing a strength exercise for 30s. Wherever you start continue in order. San Mateo Gymnastics: Space out the equipment so the job to stations. Studio: Keep a couple lanes open for people to run back & forth.
Set APP for 30s work and 0s rest
1) Walk/Jog/Sprint: 30s
2) Prison Cell Push-Ups: 30s *As you come up from each push up bring knee up *Shoulders back & down *Elbows In *3B’s http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=robo&p=prison+cell+push+ups&sa=Search
3) Walk/Jog/Sprint: 30s
4) SB/MB Bear Hug Squats: 30s *Slight forward lean from hips *Squeeze shoulder blades *3B’s *Go heavy as tolerated
5) Walk/Jog/Sprint: 30s
6) SB/MB Burpees:30s *Shoulders back & down *Elbows In *3B’s *Avoid overhead for those with shoulder issues *Go heavy as tolerated
7) Walk/Jog/Sprint: 30s
8) Rip Trainer or Band Squat with Row: 30s *Slight forward lean from hips *Squeeze shoulder blades *3B’s *Row as you ascend from squat
9) Walk/Jog/Sprint: 30s
10) MB Slams: 30s *Follow through *Slight forward lean from hips *2B’s *San Mateo Gymnastics: Throw balls into harder ground
11) Walk/Jog/Sprint: 30s
12) Pull-Ups *Shoulders back & down *2B’s
13) Walk/Jog/Sprint: 30s
14) MB Wall Trunk Rotation (facing wall): 30s Alt sides* Slight forward lean from hips *2B’s *Rotate from core
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,