Boot Camp San Carlos Fitness Training 7/1/15: 21 Day Tummy Tuck Day 15- Combo TABATA
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Add in more wrist mobility work *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response) > digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Phase 2: Wide Child’s Pose Position Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in child’s pose with wide knees & extended arms: Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall into thighs)–>rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (5s inhale (belly falls)–> 5 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging- avoid rounding back). This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine. As they continue to breathe and relax they should feel their chest going closer to the ground.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest, 6 total sets for Phase 2
Phase 3: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets (Total Time: 3:30)
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
1. Cross Over Mountain Climber *Bring knee to opp. wrist *3B’s *Shoulders back & down *Corkscrew elbows
2. Side Lying Groin Plank with Rotation (LT Side) *Bottom leg flexed at 90 degrees so top leg holds body weight up *Modify with bottom leg on ground *Shoulders back & down- squeeze shoulder blades *3B’s *Head back *Stack hips
3. Side Lying Groin Plank with Rotation (RT Side) *Bottom leg flexed at 90 degrees so top leg holds body weight up *Modify with bottom leg on ground *Shoulders back & down- squeeze shoulder blades *3B’s *Head back *Stack hips
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD. Assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 20s work time, 10s rest, 16 sets each station (8 sets each exercise), 30s transition time after all 16 sets are complete
TABATA: Perform each Tabata Combo for 16 sets before moving on (4 minutes each exercise-8 minutes each station). Tabata #4 is to be performed as a group for 8 sets only.
For example in #1: 20 seconds of deadlifts, 10 sec rest, 20 sec split squats, 10 sec rest, 20 sec deadlifts, 10 sec rest, 20 sec split squats, and so on until you reach 4 minutes of each exercise (8 sets of each.) ALLOW approximately 1 min rest after each numbered Tabata (depending on group).
· Leg Blaster Tabata #1: Plate/DB/SB Straight Leg Deadlift *Hinge from hips-flat back *2B’s *Shoulders back & down *Squeeze shoulder blades bottom *Modify with Single Leg DL or 1 Leg Bridge (4 sets each) & Plate/DB/KB Split Squats (4 Sets Each Side) *3B’s *Studio: Monkey Bar Room
· Upper Body Blaster TABATA #2 TRX Pronated – Supinated Rows *Start with palms down grip and end with palms up *Get low *Mix up grips *Shoulders back & down *Squeeze shoulder blades and hold for 2s & Equalizer Kneeling Triceps Ext. *Bring knees farther back to increase intensity *Avoid using shoulders- lock shoulders back & down *Bend & extend elbows *Butt down *3B’s
· Agility and Power Tabata #3 2 Cone – 5 Yard Shuffle with Down-Up At Each Cone *Stay low *Relax heels & MB Underhand Partner/Wall Throw *Arms straightà start with hands in front of chest and drop down into squat hinging from the hips, explode into ground and release. Can throw straight or up. *2B’s *Key is to get triple ext. from ankles/knees and hips. *Studio: Use Targets
· Group Tabata #4 Perform last TABATA as a group: Squat with Side Steps & Squat Jumps (4 sets each) *For squat with side steps stay in squat position, bring right hand to left foot, while bringing right leg to right and switch *For squat jumps, start and end with arms overhead- modify as needed with squat and finish on tippy toes*Hinge from hips *Goal is speed- bring the energy *2B’s
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,