4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Cat-Cow Position Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver (1-2 Min)
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in cat-cow. Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall) –>rib cage and then chest while performing cow, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (3s inhale (belly falls)–> 3 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging while performing cat. This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine.
Phase 2: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response)à digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest for 6 sets
Phase 3: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets (Total Time: 3:30)
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
1. Supine Russian Twist *Anchor arms to ground *Increase intensity by extending knees *3B’s
2. Bridge with March *Alt. Knee Up *Keep bridge-shoulder blades off ground *Keep hips level *Educate about #5 in wod
3. Plank Crawl *Keep plank and crawl with opp. arm & leg *Knees hips from sinking *3B’s *Shoulders back & down *Educate about #3 in wod
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 3 above and 4 as needed. Assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 20s work time, 10s rest, 8 sets, 30s transition time after all 8 sets are complete
1. Step-Ups with Plate/DB/MB/Plate Press *4 sets leading with each leg-keep same front foot on step for entire set *Controlled landing- avoid touching heel of other foot that goes up and down- keep weigh on front leg *3B’s *Studio: Perform on Wooden Step. Use plates in PT room or Heavier MB’s
2. Foam Pit Crawl or Glider Crawl (feet on Gliders) *Keep hips stable (avoid rotation & sinking) *Lock shoulders back & down *3B’s *If elbows hurt from floor use another set of gliders for elbows *Alternate for those who don’t like elbow pain 🙂 : Polar Bear Crawl- Gliders under hands & feet *Continue to move opp. arm & leg
3. SB/Plate Sumo Deadlift (bent knee) High Pull *Wide Feet *Goal is to extend ankles, knees & hips forcefully. Use momentum from lower body to bring weight off ground with arms *Lead with elbows *Hands finish at chest height *Keep head straight *Hinge from hips *Keep chest up and shoulders, back & down *2B’s *Studio: Monkey Bar Room
4. Prisoner Stationary Lateral Lunges (4 sets each direction) *Get as low as possible with lead hip*2B’s *Hinge from hips- slight forward lean
5. TRX Row *Squeeze shoulder blades and hold for 2s *3B’s
6. Commando Push-Up *Elbows in *Bring knee up with each push up and perform 2 push-ups-alt knees –>roll (right or left) after push-ups. *3B’s *See video above.
*Perform Relay Race After Above 6 Stations Are Complete: 4 Cone Liners (4 min total for each partner set) *One partner works while the other rests *Resting partner needs to work on slowing breathing & heart rate- emphasize slow inhale and exhale through pursed lips *Bring the energy
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge. Sign up for the 6 Week Body Transformation Challenge: Challenge
Your friend & coach,