4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Cat-Cow Position Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver (1-2 Min)
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in cat-cow. Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall) –>rib cage and then chest while performing cow, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (3s inhale (belly falls)–> 3 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging while performing cat. This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine.
Phase 2: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response)à digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest for 8 sets
Phase 3: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
1. Side Lying Groin (RT Leg) *3B’s *Top leg crosses over and bottom leg goes up & down (hip adduction)
2. Side Lying Groin (LT Leg) *3B’s
3. Sit-Ups *Elbows to groin *Fingers to eyebrows *3 B’s *Dig Heels *Wide feet *Tongue on roof *Look at abdomen
4. Prone Sea Turtles http://bootcampideas.com/sea-turtles/ *Relax shoulders *Finish with palms up,, shoulders externally rotates and thumbs close to side of legs- squeeze shoulder blades and hold for 5s
Phase 4: 5 Minute Burpee Challenge
*Challenge campers to get as many burpees (hit chest to ground) as possible in 5 min. Tell them to keep track of their numbers before they start. *Make sure they keep core tight. Modify movement as needed. Tell those who modify to get to the ground any way they can and no worries about time. Even if they go super slow it’s ok. A great modification is to have them get to the ground and stand up in a lunge position. Alt. the lead leg in lunge with this modification. Remind them that this is the most important skill they need to do to keep their independence. As we age the biggest problem or limitation is getting off the ground. *Have them record number at home and to post on Facebook page if they want to share.
Educate the groups about Spartan Norms:
· 80+ Burpees: Bad Ass
· 65+ Burpees: Beast
· 50+ Burpees: Super
· Under 50+ Burpees: Need more burpees
*Review WOD and organize groups during Phase 3 and after burpees challenge…they will need a rest. After review boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 10s rest. Perform as many rounds as possible in 30 minutes.
Complete the workout below for 30 minutes. Small groups will start at a specific station and then go in order. Coach can do the workout with campers, but still focus on mechanics and motivating campers.
1) Cardio: Walk/Jog/Sprint/Jumping Jacks/Whacky Jacks, etc: 30s
2) Push-Up Hold with Pike Jump: 30s *In push-up position, bring straight legs close to hands (pike) *Lock shoulders down & back *Turn elbows in *3B’s *Bend knees to make easier
3) Cardio: Walk/Jog/Sprint/Jumping Jacks/Whacky Jacks, etc: 30s
4) Mat/Bleacher/Step Jumps: 30s *Start with arms in air and finish with arms in air. Hinge from hips *2B’s *Step down slowly and repeat jump. *Modify with squats and lift heels at end
5) Cardio: Walk/Jog/Sprint/Jumping Jacks/Whacky Jacks, etc: 30s
6) Partner Carry: 30s each http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahtAgqkevmk *Can also do SB/DB/KB Carry for those in need of lower intensity *Be careful of this movement for those that do not have the strength to carry another
7) Cardio: Walk/Jog/Sprint/Jumping Jacks/Whacky Jacks, etc: 30s
8) Prisoner Walking Lunges on Line: 30s *Add Load if tolerated *Imagine lunging on a tight rope *3B’s
9) Cardio: Walk/Jog/Sprint/Jumping Jacks/Whacky Jacks, etc: 30s
10) Prisoner Split Squats Jumps: 15s leading with each leg *3B’s *Avoid jump for those who shouldn’t jump
11) Cardio: Walk/Jog/Sprint/Jumping Jacks/Whacky Jacks, etc: 30s
12) Partner Pull-Ups: 30s *Help your partner by assisting with partner’s feet into your chest- they push into your chest as needed to get head over bar *Make sure camper doing the pull-up tucks their but so they don’t arch the back *Lock shoulders down & back *3B’s *Can also do TRX Rows/Pull-ups/Fat Man/Equalizer Rows as desired
13) Cardio: Walk/Jog/Sprint/Jumping Jacks/Whacky Jacks, etc: 30s
14) Lateral Bear Crawl: 15s each way *Opp. arm and leg *Knees barely off ground *3B’s *Corkscrew elbows
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge. Sign up for the 6 Week Body Transformation Challenge: Challenge
Your friend & coach,