4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Quadruped Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while on all 4’s: Hands under shoulders and knees under hips, corkscrew elbows, shoulders back & down. Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall)–>rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (3s inhale (belly falls)–> 2 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging- avoid rounding back). This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine.
Phase 2: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response)à digestive complaints, neck issues, tmj, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest for 6 sets
Phase 3: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
1. Supine Lower Ab Leg Flutters *Perform small flutter kicks with legs straight *3 B’s *Bring legs lower if advanced *Hands under tailbone *Bend knees to make easier and don’t go as low for those with back issues
2. Side Lying Groin Plank with Bottom Leg Off Ground (RT Side) *3 B’s *Lock shoulders back & down *Keep hips up *Squeeze shoulder blades *Eyes straight
3. Side Lying Groin Plank with Bottom Leg Off Ground (LT Side) *3 B’s *Lock shoulders back & down *Keep hips up *Squeeze shoulder blades *Eyes straight
Phase 4: Primal Movements –Review the following movements in the WOD below for 5 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 3 above and 4 as needed. Assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
WOD: Perform the following (6 Station) Primary Movements (PM) below for 40s intervals and follow with Active Rest Movement (ARM) for 40s for 3 sets each station, then rotate to next station. All Boot Campers will perform same ARM as a group; however, you can accommodate twice as many campers if half the group does the PM and the other half does ARM. Transition time is 5s between PM & ARM and so they need to move quickly.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 40s work time, 5s rest, 6 sets, 30s transition time after all 3 sets are complete for PM & ARM
PM (40s x 3 Sets):
1. SB/KB/DB Suitcase Squat (20s each side) *Goal is to keep shoulders level and to not side bend *Hinge from hip *Get low *Squeeze butt at top *2B’s *Studio: Monkey Bar Room-Use KB’s
2. MB/Battle Ropes Slam*Use whole body and follow through into ground *Hinge from hips *2B’s *Studio: Use Ropes
3. TRX Row and Curl with Staggered Stance- you will need to assist with biceps curl in a lower row position *First perform row and then do biceps curl *Slow & controlled movement *Relax shoulders *Keep Lock-Chest Up and Shoulders Back & Down *3B’s
4. Wall Squat Hold *Leg ext. as tolerated (1-5s hold) *Start with feet together if attempting leg ext *3B’s- imprint spine into wall *Bring arms to 90 degree angles (scarecrow) and drive wrists, forearms and elbows into wall
5. Glider Side Lunge Floor Touch (20s each side): *Campers only need one glider on lunging leg (start with glider under right foot) *Start with feet together and perform a deep squat with left leg, while at the same time bringing the right leg out to side in a slow, controlled manner. Switch sides after 20s. ***This can be a dangerous movement if done wrong- groin will pull. Do not let weight shift to lunging leg- keep mid line centered over squatting leg *Hinging from the hips *Keep knee in line with second toe *2B’s
6. Swiss Ball Push Up *Hands on ball – feet on bench *Wide feet is easier *Push the ball in from the sides *Down slow & controlled *Keep Lock-Chest Up and Shoulders Back & Down *Progress to 1 foot as tolerated*Keep Elbows In *3B’s *Modify with equalizer for hands
ARM (40s x 3 Sets):
1. Plank Jacks *While in plank position, bring legs out & in *Keep hips up *3 B’s
2. High Knees with Arms Extended *Try to hit hands *Lower hands to hit knees *3B’s
3. Front to Back Jumping Jacks *Arms and legs go forward – back motion rather than typical side to side motion *Relax heels *3B’s
4. Lateral jumps (20s) & Forward-Back Jumps (20s) *Jump over a line with 2 feet *Relax Heels *3B’s
5. High Knee Skips *Toes up *Opp. arm & leg *3B’s
6. Cardio of choice
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,