4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Supine Double Knee to Chest Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in supine double knee to chest position. Initiate breathing with belly (feel it press into thighs)–>rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (5s inhale (belly falls)–> 5 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging). This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine. As they continue to breathe and relax they should feel their knees going closer to the chest.
Phase 2: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) Incorporate movements similar or the same as the workouts below Explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency, strength, endurance, balance, etc. and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest, 8 sets for Phase 2
Phase 3: Core – Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets
1. Prone Plank Hand Walkouts *Keep 3 B’s (Engage belly, butt & bladder) *Walk out as far as possible and hold for 3s given core is stable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6VXsbPAQ_k *Shoulders back & down *Corkscrew elbows *Start standing reaching toes and walk hands forward. *Educate about core stability here
2. Side Plank Hip Drop (RT SIDE) *Head straight *Lock shoulders back & down- squeeze shoulder blades *Hand on hip *3B’s *Cross top leg over bottom to make easier http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUCcixUtJz8 *Modify with elbow
3. Side Plank Hip Drop (LT SIDE) *Head straight *Lock shoulders back & down- squeeze shoulder blades *Hand on hip *3B’s *Cross top leg over bottom to make easier http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUCcixUtJz8 *Modify with elbow
4. Prone Superman *Start on stomach with arms overhead > bring elbows to back pockets, extend spine and lift thighs and chest off ground for 5s *Toes to nose *Lock shoulders back & down- squeeze shoulder blades
Phase 4: Primal Movements –Review the following movements in the WOD below for 5 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 3 & 4 as needed. Assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
WOD: Perform the following (6 Station) Primary Movements (PM) below for 40s intervals and follow with Active Rest Movement (ARM) for 40s for 3 sets each station, then rotate to next station. All Boot Campers will perform same ARM as a group; however, you can accommodate twice as many campers if half the group does the PM and the other half does ARM. Transition time is 5s between PM & ARM and so they need to move quickly.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 40s work time, 5s rest, 6 sets, 30s transition time after all 6 sets are complete for PM & ARM
PM (40s x 3 Sets):
- MB/SB Front Loaded Step-Ups with Balance Hold (20s each side) *Keep one foot on step/mat and drive it into step/mat *Finish with hold at top for 2s *Opp. arm & leg *Forward lean *Raise/lower step height as needed to optimize form *Down slow and up fast *Barely touch foot to ground *3B’s *Keep elbows up
- DB/Plate/KB One Arm Rows (20s each side) *2B’s *Hinge from hips *Flat back *Shoulders back & down *Squeeze shoulder blades at end of range *Keep elbows in
- Battle Ropes: Laddering with Double Wave (20s) and Slams (20s) *Lock shoulders back & down *Hinge from hip *2B’s
- TRX One Leg Squats (20s each side) *Hold onto TRX as much as needed *Hinge from hips and do your best to get butt low to the ground *2B’s *Elbows bent at 90 *Lock shoulders back & down
5. Spiderman Glider Pushups or Modified Spiderman without push-up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJSCntC77U *Gliders under feet *Shoulders back & down *3B’s
- Single Leg Back Lunge with Glider with Arm Raise (20s each side) *Back foot on glider *Raise both arms to the ceiling and slide one foot back while lowering into lunge position–-> slide back to start and repeat *Go as deep as tolerated *Keep back hip tucked *3B’s
ARM (40s x 3 Sets):
*Perform one movement after the other in a circuit
1) Lateral High Knee Skip *Cue campers to go left or right *Relax heels *Toes up *3B’s
2) Butt Kicks *3B’s
3) Fwd-Back One Leg Hop (20s each side) *Toes up *3B’s
4) P90X Whacky Jacks *Straight legs *Whatever leg comes up side bend and bring elbow towards that leg *Lock shoulders back & down- squeeze shoulder http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llWk2RYkc7E *3B’s
5) P90X Squat, Jump & Rotate *One foot forward, one foot back *Touch ground with squat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJnH82h1CFo
6) Standing Mountain Climber *Opp. arm & leg *Reach to ceiling with hands *High knees *Toes up
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,