4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Supine Double Knee to Chest Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in supine double knee to chest position. Initiate breathing with belly (feel it press into thighs)–>rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (5s inhale (belly falls)–> 5 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging). This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine. As they continue to breathe and relax they should feel their knees going closer to the chest.
Phase 2: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) Incorporate movements similar or the same as the workouts below Explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency, strength, endurance, balance, etc. and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest, 6 sets for Phase 2
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
Phase 2: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets (Total Time: 3:30)
1. Supine Bicycle Crunch *Educate here about core stability *Avoid grabbing neck-fingers to eyebrows *Tongue on roof of mouth *Move from core *3B’s *Look at abdomen, not up!
2. Supine Bridge with Straight Leg Raise (15s each side) *Get a good hamstring/calf stretch *Keep hips level *Toes up *Full ROM *3B’s
3. Prone Aquaman *Lift opp. arm and leg off ground *Alt. sides at comfortable pace *Shoulders back & down *Shoulders relaxed-easiest to accomplish when arms are at 45 degree angle *Look down *2B’s
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 3 & 4 as needed. Assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
WOD: Perform the following (6 Station) Primary Movements (PM) below for 30s intervals and follow with Active Rest Movement (ARM) for 30s for 4 sets each station, then rotate to next station. All Boot Campers will perform same ARM as a group; however, you can accommodate twice as many campers if half the group does the PM and the other half does ARM. Transition time is 5s between PM & ARM and so they need to move quickly.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest, 8 sets, 30s transition time after all 4 sets are complete for PM & ARM.
PM (30s x 4 Sets):
1. Plate/SB Front Loaded Good Mornings *Feet shoulder width position *Weight at chest or higher as needed *Hinge from hips-flat back *Shoulders back & down *Squeeze shoulder blades *Modify with Swiss Ball Leg Curls for those who have back pain *2B’s *Studio: Monkey Bar Room
2. Mat Push or Glider Push (Like a truck push) *Stay low and drive backwards with feet to move forwards *Keep back flat *Arms straight *Core tight *2B’s *Hands on gliders or mat
3. Band/Rip Rows with Back Lunges *With each row perform back lunge- move from center of gravity or belly button back & forward *Alt. Legs *Keep hands below chest to reduce use of upper traps *Squeeze at end range of motion *Shoulders back & down *3B’s
4. Rope Climb or Battle Rope Tug of War (Two-four people share one rope) *Stay low *Hips back *Shoulders back & down *2B’s *Rope Climb at Studio & SMGC *Modify at Studio with Rope Flex
5. TRX Squats (15s) & TRX Squat Jumps (15s) *Hinge from hips *Stay upright with this movement-drop straight down. *Elbows should be bent around 90 degrees *Light hands *Shoulders back & down *Squeeze shoulder blades *2B’s *Keep feet hip width *Get low *Keep knees should be over ankles
6. Swiss Ball/Glider Jack Knife Push-Up *Lock *2B’s *Keep head in alignment with spine
ARM (30s x 4 Sets):
*Remove 4th set of cardio as needed for time
1. Fast run in place with Change in Speed *Coach says speed 1-2-3 *Speed 3 is the fastest *Relax heels
2. Fast feet with Squat *Coach calls squat and everyone drops into squat *Hinge from hips *2B’s
3. Mountain Climbers *Lock shoulders back & down *3 B’s *Knees barely off ground-flat back
4. Star Jumps *Straight arms & legs *Toes up *3B’s
5. Front to Back Jacks *Feet go forward and back vs side to side and arms perform same pattern
6. Partner Mirror Cardio Drill (New leader each set. Whatever leader does partner mirrors.)
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,