4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Prone Position Breathing (60-120s)
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while on stomach. See video > here Initiate breathing with belly (feel it push into ground) > rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 15s each breath (5s inhale (belly falls) > 5 s hold > 5 s exhale. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation in the right order, which allows us to stabilize the core and prepare for the workout. As they continue to breathe they should feel the body relaxing.
Phase 2: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) Incorporate movements similar or the same as the workouts below Explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency, strength, endurance, balance, etc. and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest, 6 total sets for Phase 2
Phase 2: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets (Total Time: 3:30)
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
1. Spiderman Push-Up Hold *Bring foot to hand > hold 2 s > switch sides *Shoulders back & down *3B’s
2. One Leg Bridge (RT Side) *Start with feet together *Lift hips up and down *Hips level *RT Leg Extended
3. One Leg Bridge (LT Side) *Start with feet together *Lift hips up and down *Hips level *LT Leg Extended
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 3 & 4 as needed. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
Perform the following exercises with a partner for 35 minutes. Do as many rounds as possible. Keep good form throughout exercises. Campers can mix up movements below as needed. Complete all reps before moving on to next exercise.
1. Battle Ropes: Alternating Waves with Back Lunges- 10 each leg *Slight forward lean *2B’s *Move from core
2. TRX Overhead Squats- 10 *Start with hands overhead like you are holding a 50lb barbell, hands are in a y position, shoulders back & down > hinge from hip and squat *Keep arms straight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC4RcON8D58
3. Rock Wall- 3x from left to right *Modify by allowing them to go up & down 3x *Modify with hold
4. MB Wall Underhand Throw – 10 *Start with feet shoulder width with ball in front of chest > Hinge from hips > throw ball underhand as hard as possible using ankles, knees and hips
5. Straddle Side Step- 10x leading with each foot *Straddle step or mat with both feet–> lead with right foot and step on mat–> follow with left–> straddle again with right–> followed by left–> repeat 9 more times and then switch sides *Raise height to increase intensity *relax heels
6. Cargo Net’n-3- Climb up and down the cargo net and hit the top- 3x *Modify with hold
7. APT Band Row with Squat-10 *Shoulder back & down * Hinge from hip with squat *2B’s
8. Equalizer In–>In–>Out–> In–>In–>Out–> Repeat- 10x leading with each leg *Place equalizer on its side > start with both feet outside bars *Relax heels *Fast feet *Monkey bar room
9. Monkey Push-ups: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wue7EWNgnPg *Bend forward and place hands under shoulders while on tippy toesàbring had towards groundà jump up *Lock shoulders back & down *Modify as needed *3B’s *Use fists or db’s for wrists as needed for wrist pain *3B’s
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,