4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Breathing Squats
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while performing breathing squats: Start by standing with feet shoulder width and everted. Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall) > rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest > hinge from hips and lower hips to ground while exhaling* > inhale as you stand upright repeat *This is opp. of our normal breathing for loaded squats- this is like a ZEN squat *Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (3s inhale (belly falls) > 3 s hold > 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine) * As they continue to breathe, squat and relax, they should feel their hips lowering, heels going closer to the ground and hips opening.
Phase 2: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) Incorporate movements similar or the same as the workouts below Explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency, strength, endurance, balance, etc. and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest, 6 total sets for Phase 2
Phase 3: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets (Total Time: 3:30)
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
- Prone Plank with Elbow Rotation *Rotate RT elbow towards up to ceiling, look at elbow > back to plank > repeat with LT Elbow *Move from core *Keep hips level *3B’s *Shoulders back & down **Move feet closer to increase difficulty
- Side Plank with Elbow Rotation (LT Side) *Rotate RT elbow towards ground and up to ceiling, look at ebow > repeat *Move from core *Keep hips level and bring hips as high as tolerated *3B’s *Shoulders back & down-Lock *Modify by crossing top leg over
- Side Plank with Elbow Rotation (RT Side) *Rotate LT elbow towards ground and up to ceiling, look at ebow > repeat *Move from core *Keep hips level and bring hips as high as tolerated *3B’s *Shoulders back & down-Lock *Modify by crossing top leg over
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD. Assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 5 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 20s work time, 10s rest, 12-16 sets each station (6-8 sets each exercise), 30s transition time after all 16 sets are complete
TABATA: Perform each Tabata Combo for 12-16 sets before moving on (3-4 minutes each exercise for 6-8 minutes each station). Tabata #4 is to be performed as a group for 6-8 sets only.
For example in #1: 20 seconds of squats, 10 sec rest, 20 sec mat jumps, 10 sec rest, 20 sec squats, 10 sec rest, 20 sec mat jumps, and so on until you reach 4 minutes of each exercise (6-8 sets of each.) ALLOW approximately 1 min rest after each numbered Tabata (depending on group).
- Leg Blaster Tabata #1: Sandbag/MB Shoulder Squats (3-4 sets with SB/MB on each side) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbY3SZs-t8E *2B’s *Shoulders back & down *Squeeze shoulder blades *Keeps hips from deviating right and left and get as low as tolerated *Hold 2s at bottom *Hinge from hips & Mat/Step Jumps *Start with hands up and finish with them up *Hinge from hips *Load–>explode *Step ups as needed *2B’s
- Upper Body Blaster TABATA #2 TRX Rows *Get low *Mix up hand positions*Shoulders back & down *Squeeze shoulder blades and hold for 2s & Floor Plate/DB Press *Elbows in *Keep Shoulders back & down- Lower back should arch to overemphasize lock of shoulders *3B’s
- Agility and Power Tabata #3 4 Cone Cross-Over Agility Drill *http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnKbUMnidU8 *2 people per set of cones *Stay low *Lead with hips with backpedal & Band/APT Band Pull Through https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkMAJEZ_Lqw *Total body movement *Hold band/APT between legs with both hands > Start with feet shoulder width > Hinge from hips, bend knees, keeping arms straight and bring them back between legs > Keep back flat and eyes straight > Come up from squat, squeeze shoulder blades and butt *2B’s *Walk out farther to make harder
- Group Tabata #4 Perform last TABATA as a group: Squat with Side Step with Opposite Hand to Foot Touch *Start and stay low in squat position *Trail leg should be straight *Head stays over center of gravity *Lock shoulders back & down *Goal is speed- bring the energy *2B’s *Always have one foot on a line and switch
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,