4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Cat-Cow: Cat-Cow Position Breathing/Drawing In Maneuver (1-2 Min)
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing and abdominal recruitment while in cat-cow. Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall) –>rib cage and then chest while performing cow, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (3s inhale (belly falls)–> 3 s hold–> 5 s exhale and draw belly in towards spine, feeling oblique’s engaging while performing cat. This is not normal breathing given you don’t draw the belly in. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation and set the abdominal wall for ab exercises and other movements we do in the workout and prior to all lifts in the real world. This will help to stabilize the spine.
Phase 2: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) Incorporate movements similar or the same as the workouts below Explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency, strength, endurance, balance, etc. and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest for 6 sets
Phase 3: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets (Total Time: 3:30)
- Supine Lower Abdominal Corkscrew (Rotate legs independently for 15s and out for 15s) *Lower legs to increase intensity *Raise upper body to increase intensity *3 B’s *Look at abdomen *Tongue on roof *Hands under tailbone
- Crab Reach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKuKpDVQ-lY (2:08) *Alt. Sides *Start in M position with butt 1 inch off ground –>extend hip and reach–> alt *Lock shoulders back & down *3B’s
- Seated Core Hold *Sit tall on sit bones- avoid rounded posture and sitting on glutes *Feet barely off ground *Bring arms overhead to make harder *Grab knees to make easier *2 B’s *Shoulders back & down- squeeze shoulder blades
Phase 4: 5 Min Burpees Challenge *Tell campers to make note of # ‘s to keep track of progress and to also look back on #’s from 5 weeks ago. Post on Boot Camp FB page *Hit the ground each time *Emphasize to keep core tight *Modify for those that do not want to do challenge or can’t: they can get up anyway they like. Preferably have them get on and off the ground anyway they can. Explain that this is the most functional movement on the planet.
Explain Spartan norms to campers prior and tell them to shoot for a goal:
80+ burpees – Awesome. True Spartan
65+ burpees – Great. Beast Mode
50+ burpees – Good
Under 50 burpees – Need more burpees 🙂
Phase 5: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 3&5 as needed. Assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
WOD: Perform the following (5 Station) Primary Movements (PM) below for 30s intervals and follow with Active Rest Movement (ARM) for 30s for 4 sets each station, then rotate to next station. All Boot Campers will perform same ARM as a group; however, you can accommodate twice as many campers if half the group does the PM and the other half does ARM. Transition time is 5s between PM & ARM and so they need to move quickly.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest, 8 sets, 30s transition time after all 4 sets are complete for PM & ARM
PM (30s x 4 Sets):
- SB Clean & Press *Start with bag on ground in bent knee, deadlift position *Hinge from hip- flat back *Use outer handles for smaller bags *When performing clean it needs to be a fast movement *Keep core tight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYb6f4zRRGM*For press use fists for bigger bags, outer handles for smaller bags *Shoulders back & down *Be careful when bringing bag down-use whole body to bring bag to ground in controlled manner *For new people teach high pull only (squat with upright row) so they learn that the lower body is the key to the movement *Modify as needed with high pull or clean only
- DB/KB/Plate One Arm Bent Over Row (2 sets each arm) *2B’s *Keep elbows in *Flat back *Squeeze shoulder blades and hold 2s *Make it tough for 30s
- Battle Ropes: Backwards Lunges with 1 Arm Single Wave (2 sets each side) *Opp. arm and leg- 2 people can share 1 rope *Hinge from hip *Shoulders back & down
- MB Total Body Slams *Slam MB as hard as possible into ground *Follow through *Use whole body *2B’s *For those with shoulder issues bring ball as high as tolerated- from the forehead works to reduce strain
- Wall Squat Hold with Leg Ext. *Start with feet together and squat to 90 degrees– attempt to extend one knee for 3 s *Bring arms into scarecrow against wall to get stretch in chest and engage posterior shoulders *Shoulders back & down *3B’s – Imprint spine into wall
ARM (30s x 4 Sets):
*Perform one movement after the other in a circuit
1) Fast Feet with In & Out Movement on Coach’s Cue *Keep feet low-heels the height of a credit card *Bring feet in & out wide as you jog fast based upon coach’s call *2B’s
2) Lateral Hops with Opp. Elbow to Knee *Perform fast *Slight forward lean*2B’s
3) Lateral Jumps *Visualize jumping both feet side to side over a line *Quick feet *Stay Tight *Toes up *3B’s
4) Insanity Power Squats *Start with feet together and jump feet to out to side so feet are wide and lower into squat and come up and repeat *2B’s
5) Mirror Drill- Led by Coach *Make it fun
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,