4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Bent Over Breathing (60-120s)
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing, while at the same time educating clients about posture and hip hinge. See video > https://www.facebook.com/956988614357175/videos/979823535407016/ Standing with knees slightly bent and teach clients how to externally rotate shoulders > hinge from hip *Make sure back is flat. Initiate breathing with belly > rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 15s each breath (5s inhale (belly falls) > 5 s hold > 5 s exhale. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation in the right order, which allows us to stabilize the core and prepare for the workout. As they continue to breathe they should feel the body relaxing.
Phase 2: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) Incorporate movements similar or the same as the workouts below Explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency, strength, endurance, balance, etc. and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest for 6 sets
Phase 3: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
- Prone Plank with Alternating Hip AB/AD *Keep 3 B’s (Engage belly, butt & bladder) *Hold hip AB for 2s each side *Look down *Shoulders back & down *Educate here about core stability needed for WOD
- Supine Dead bug with Bridge Hold *Keep bridge for 30s *Extend right knee and left arm > hold for 2 s and switch *Lock shoulders back & down *3B’s *Keep hips level
- Seated Figure 8’s *Sit tall with knees and hips flexed, feet off ground> alternate hip flexion and bring imaginary ball through legs in 8 pattern *2B’s *For those with back pain grab knees while in seated position with feet often
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps if possible or pick similar movement pattern *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 3&4 above. Assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
WOD: Perform the following (6 Station) Primary Movements (PM) below for 30s intervals and follow with Active Rest Movement (ARM) for 30s for 4 sets each station, then rotate to next station. All Boot Campers will perform same ARM as a group; however, you can accommodate twice as many campers if half the group does the PM and the other half does ARM. Transition time is 5s between PM & ARM and so they need to move quickly.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest, 8 sets, 30s transition time after all 4 sets are complete for PM & ARM
PM (30s x 4 Sets):
- Plate/KB/DB Suitcase Squat (2 sets with weight in each hand) *Holding weight in hand perform squat- goal is to keep hips and shoulder level and to recruit opp. side to maintain alignment *Hinge from hip *Get low *2B’s *Lock shoulders back & down *Challenge with heavy load as tolerated *Studio: Monkey Bar Room
- SB Bent Over Rows/Squat Thrust *25-45 lbs *2B’s *Stay down the whole time: Row > Plank >Row > Plank *Keep chest up and core tight *Lock shoulders back & down- squeeze shoulder blades for 2 s *Elbows in *Hinge from hip *Avoid drop in hips (that can cause back pain easily) *Modify with Bent Over Row Only
- Low Walking Lunges *The goal is to stay as low as possible throughout lunge movement- imagine a low ceiling *This lunge is extremely challenging *3B’s *Hinge forward from hip to make easier *Modify with normal walking lunge
- Battle Ropes: Double Wave *Elbows In *Lock shoulders back & down *Hinge from hips *2B’s
- TRX/Swiss Ball Leg Curls *Keep hips up *3B’s *Use hands as needed to assist *Studio: TRX
- MB Push-Up -Alternate Right to Left (MB Stays in Place- Use harder balls) *Alternate sides *Increase plyometric activity if tolerated so go faster. Control as needed. *Lock shoulders back & down- squeeze shoulder blades *Elbows in *3B’s *Widen feet to make easier *Can also use equalizer for push-ups those with wrist pain
ARM (30s x 4 Sets):
*Perform one at a time. Complete all 4 sets before moving on.
1) Icky Shuffle (RT-LT-RT-LT-RT-LT) *Relax heels *2B’s
2) Run in place *Quick feet *Toes up *3B’s *Drive arms fast to increase stride frequency *Relax heels
3) Lateral Jumps (both feet) *Visualize jumping right to left over a line *Stay Tight *Toes up *3B’s *Relax heels
4) 4 Square Jumps *Visualize a square with 4 quadrants- Jump Forward > Right > Down > Left > Repeat (2 sets each direction) *3B’s *Relax heels
5) Irish Dancers *Similar to leg cradle stretch- with right hand touch left foot (bring left foot up to meet right hand) > release > alternate with left hand to right foot (bring right foot up to meet left hand)à increase speed as tolerated *3B’s
6) Cardio of choice *Relax heels *2B’s
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation
Your friend & coach,