This WOD will be a total body workout with an upper body emphasis. Wednesday will be a lower body emphasis. Friday will be TABATA.
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Quadruped Breathing
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing while on all 4’s: Hands under shoulders and knees under hips, corkscrew elbows, collar bones up 1”. Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall)–>rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (3s inhale (belly falls)–> 2 s hold–> 5 s exhale- avoid rounding back. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation in the right order, which allows us to stabilize the core and prepare for the workout. As they continue to breathe they should feel the body relaxing.
Phase 2: Stationary Foundation Mobility Training or Moving Dynamic Warm-up (5 Min) Incorporate movements similar or the same as the workouts below. Explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency, strength, endurance, balance, etc. and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest for 6 sets
Phase 3: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
- Seated Vertical Scissors *On elbows *Lock shoulders back & down *Bring the energy and get the group to count the number, while you count 1-2-3 (1-2-3 > 1, 1-2-3 > 2) *Educate about core engagement needed for entire workout here *2 B’s *Lower legs to make harder *If back tightens up, bend knees and bring to chest- modification- reverse crunch
- Side Hand Plank (LT Side) *3B’s *Top hand on hip *Squeeze shoulder blades *Lock shoulders back & down *Bring top leg up to increase intensity *Go onto elbow as needed *Engage lat to stabilize shoulder
- Side Hand Plank (RT Side) *3B’s *Top hand on hip *Squeeze shoulder blades *Lock shoulders back & down *Bring top leg up to increase intensity *Go onto elbow as needed *Engage lat to stabilize shoulder
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phases above phases and assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
WOD: Alternate the following 8 exercises two at a time for 4 sets before moving onto next pair or movements. Perform each exercise for 30s with 15s rest in between. After all 4 sets are done rest 30-60s before performing next two movements.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 15s rest, 8 sets, 30s transition time after all 4 sets are complete
- Equalizer Rows *Lock shoulders back & down *Look down *Tongue on roof of mouth *3B’s *Bring hips up & down each rep to make it easier Studio: Monkey Bar Room
- Plate/DB Floor Press *Elbows in *3B’s *Lock shoulders back & down Studio: Monkey Bar Room
- Battle Rope Squat Jacks *Start with feet together, hinge from hips in squat position and hands at sides holding rope > perform jumping jack and repeat *3B’s *Lock shoulders back & down *Relax heels
- Band Standing Squat Row (APT Bands at Studio) *2B’s *Hinge from hip and lower hips into squat > Stand and row > Repeat *Lock shoulders back & down *Hold for 2s at end of row *Add jump to increase intensity
- TRX Chest Press *Increase intensity by putting feet in handles *Lock shoulders back & down *3B’s
- SB Front Loaded Split Squats (2 sets each side) *3B’s *Keep tuck of back hip
- Band/DB Bent Over Reverse Fly’s *Hinge from hip *2B’s *Lock shoulders back & down *Relax shoulders *Hold for 2s at end of row *Use band at Studio
- Squat Hold *Get Low *2Bs *Hinge from hip *Hold MB or stand on Bosu to increase intensity- extend arms to make harder
Perform cardio at end of workout. Do 6-8 high intensity liners for 30s. Break groups up into two. While one group is working the other is resting. Focus on slow deep breaths during recovery.
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: Transformation Challenge
Your friend & coach,