This WOD will be a total body workout with a upper body emphasis. Friday will be a TABATA Day.
4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Quadruped Breathing
Perform 1-2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing while on all 4’s: Hands under shoulders and knees under hips, corkscrew elbows, collar bones up 1”. Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall)–>rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (3s inhale (belly falls)–> 2 s hold–> 5 s exhale- avoid rounding back. The purpose of this is to educate about the inhalation in the right order, which allows us to stabilize the core and prepare for the workout. As they continue to breathe they should feel the body relaxing.
Phase 2: Stationary Foundation Mobility Training or Moving Dynamic Warm-up (5 Min) Incorporate movements similar or the same as the workouts below Explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency, strength, endurance, balance, etc. and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest for 6 sets
Phase 3: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
- Prone Plank Up-Downs (leading with 15s each side) *Educate about core engagement needed for entire workout and triceps ext. in workout *3 B’s
- Prone Reverse Hyperextension with Hip AB/AD *Lift up legs as high as possible and perform hip ABà AD *Open legs as far as possible *Keep upper body on ground
- Rocking Bridge *On hands- rock hips up à hold and squeeze shoulder blades & butt for 2 sà rock back through arms *Fingers pointing away from body
Phase 4: Primal Movements: Review the WOD below for 5-10 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 3 & 4 as needed and assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
WOD: Alternate the following 8 exercises two at a time for 4 sets before moving onto next pair or movements. Perform each exercise for 30s with 15s rest in between. After all 4 sets are done rest 30-60s before performing next two movements.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 15s rest, 8 sets, 30s transition time after all 4 sets are complete
- Sandbag (SB) Bear Hug Squats *Lock shoulders back & down *Squeeze shoulder blades *Hinge from hip and get down to 90 degrees *2B’s (Belly and bladder engaged) *Monkey Bar Room at Studio
- MB/SB Single Leg Deadlift (2 sets each side) *Hinge from hip-maintain flat back *3B’s *Lock shoulders back & down *Modify with Single Leg Bridge *Monkey Bar Room at Studio
- Reverse Hyperextension *Legs go up and down and upper body is stable *Use high mat or Swiss Ball and let legs fall to down *Hands under shoulders *Bring legs up & down *Squeeze butt at top for 2s *Use all the mats and steps at Studio
- Band Walk with Side Step (20 s with straight legs and 20s with bent knees) *Stationary *Band around ankles *Increase intensity by putting band around foot. * Decrease intensity by putting band higher than ankle *Keep 3 B’s (Belly, bladder and butt tucked)
- One Leg Squat with Lateral Glide (2 sets each side) *One foot on Glider *Squat with left leg hinging from hip (maintain center)à with right leg glide it laterally and repeat for 30s à switch *Get as low as possible with side you squat on *Hinge from hip *2B’s *Be careful teaching this exercise and explain that they can easily pull a groin muscle if they don’t stay centered over squat leg
- Kneeling Triceps Extensions (Use Equalizer’s if you have them) *Bring knees back to make harder *Keep butt down and tucked *3B’s *Elbows in *Shoulders Back & Down
- Glider Mountain Climbers *Feet on Gliders *Knees barely off ground *Corkscrew elbows *Lock shoulders back & down *3B’s
- TRX Rows *Shoulders Back & Down *Use hips as needed *Squeeze shoulder blades at end rom *3B’s
Bonus: Perform cardio at end of workout. Do 6-8 high intensity Burpees for 20s. Break groups up into two. While one group is working the other is resting.
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge: 6 Week Boot Camp Transformation Challenge
Your friend & coach,