4 Phase Warm-Up:
Phase 1: Foundation Mobility Training (5 Min) *Start education here about the importance of breathing, emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths, in and out of the nose, initiated from diaphragm (belly should rise first, rib cage second, chest third). Push the need to daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response)–> digestive complaints, neck issues, TMJ, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more. In addition, explain the need to be in good posture for optimal breathing efficiency and to reduce potential injuries. With each movement incorporate breathing and make the movements flow. If there are tight areas focus on those areas and continue to breathe.
Phase 2: Child’s Pose > Squat Rock Position Breathing (2 Min) *For those who can’t get into deep squat position perform child’s pose entire time
Perform 2 minutes of diaphragmatic breathing while in child’s pose (1 min) and then squat rock (1 min). Initiate breathing with belly (let it fall into thighs) > rib cage and then chest, instead of initiating with chest. Rock back & forth from heels to toes with squat rock. This is an easy way to teach people diaphragmatic breathing. Breathe in and out of nose for approximately 10s each breath (5s inhale (belly falls) > 5s hold > 5s exhale . As they continue to breathe and rock they should feel their heels going closer to the ground. Emphasize slow, deep, rhythmic breaths during and after workouts. Do daily work on breathing before eating, if stressed, depressed, in the car etc. given it is our number one need. We can change our physiological state in seconds via breathing. If we master breathing, we can enjoy life at its fullest. Inverted or chest breathing sympathetic dominance (flight/fight response)à digestive complaints, neck issues, TMJ, grinding of teeth, anxiety, scarcity, belly fat and more.
Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest for 6 sets
Phase 3: Core (Perform the following movements for 30s in a circuit with a 5s transition for 2 Sets
*3B’s= Draw in belly towards spine, engage bladder muscles and tuck butt
*2B’s= Draw in belly towards spine & engage bladder muscles
- Supine Alt. Straight Leg Crunch *Start with legs extended on ground and each rep alternate a straight leg raise while executing crunch at the same time. *Start with arms overhead and attempt to touch foot *3 B’s *Keep legs engaged *Alternate legs *Look at abdomen *Educate about core stability here
- Supine Straight Leg Trunk Rotation: Supine Straight Leg Trunk Rotation Video *Keep legs together *Rotate legs right to left *Bend knees to make easier *3B’s-keep imprint *Relax shoulders
- Prone Aquaman *Moderate temp *Bring arms to 45 degree angle to relax upper traps *Lift opposing arm & leg raise – straight arms & legs *Lift collar bones 1 inch *Relax shoulders
Phase 4: Primal Movements –Review the following movements in the WOD below for 5 reps *Goal is blood flow, not max efforts
*Review WOD below during Phase 3 above and 4 as needed. Assign campers stations for the WOD below. After Phase 4 boot campers immediately transition to WOD. They can get water at any time on their own.
WOD: Perform the following (6 Station) Primary Movements (PM) below for 30s intervals and follow with Active Rest Movement (ARM) for 30s for 4 sets each station, then rotate to next station. All Boot Campers will perform same ARM as a group; however, you can accommodate twice as many campers if half the group does the PM and the other half does ARM. Transition time is 5s between PM & ARM and so they need to move quickly.
*Set Gym Boss or Interval App to: 30s work time, 5s rest, 8 sets, 30s transition time after all 4 sets are complete for PM & ARM
PM (30s x 4 Sets):
- Plate/DB/KB/SB Bent Over Row *Hinge from hip *Keep chest up and butt out to keep flat back *Squeeze shoulder blades at top of movement for 2-3s *Lift collar bones 1 inch *2B’s *Studio: Monkey Bar Room
- Glider Pike – Jack Knife Combo *Perform a Pike and then hold push-up, followed by a Jack Knife *Corkscrew elbows *Lock shoulders back & down *Elbows In *3B’s
- Battle Ropes: Overhand Grip Alt. Wave with Side Step Squat *Lift collar bones 1 inch *2B’s *Alternate lateral step & squat > switch sides
- TRX Biceps Curl (20s) & Triceps Ext (20s) *3B’s *Cue to move from elbows- bend & extend – hold end range of motion and focus on contraction *Elbows in *Relax shoulders
- MB Wall Ball *Get to 90 with squat *Elbows in *Explode feet into ground *Lift collar bones 1 inch *Hinge from the hip *2B’s
- Side Step Ups (2 sets each leg) *Keep majority of weight on the foot that is on the step and barely touch foot to ground on other leg – heel doesn’t touch *Raise height of step to make harder as tolerated *2B’s *Let them know this is a rehab type movement- will not overtax physiology – goal is to strengthen vmo
ARM (30s x 4 Sets):
*Do Active Recovery in Circuit (one after the other)
- Curry 3 Point Shot *Imagine you are Curry, dribble and shoot *Relax heels
- Fast run in place – coach will say stop once in a while *Drive elbows to speed up legs *Keep feet low – toes up
- Split Squat Jumps *Switch feet in mid air and do your best to land in same spot *Bigger the step is less stress and easier *Modify for most
- Moving Lateral Jumps *Toes up *2 foot jumps moving forward *Jump for quickness, not power *Relax heels – toes up
- Heel-Toe Hops *Imaginary Jump Rope *Imagine jumping jump and doing heel-toe movement *Relax heels – toes up
- Hip Jump Twist *Rotate right and left from hips *Look straight ahead *3B’s *Relax heels
- Standing Mountain Climbers *Opp. arm & leg *Relax heels – toes up
Circle Time-Cool Down Stretches: 5 min
Are you up for a challenge? Sign up for the 6-Week Boot Camp Body Transformation Challenge: 6-Week Body Transformation Challenge
Your friend & coach,
Fit Body Boot Camp is the only 30 minute group personal training program that’s fun, affordable, gives you fat loss results and challenges your body every time. Best of all, we guarantee you’ll be happy with the results or you get your money back.
Join Brien on Facebook
Write a Google+ Review
Write a Yelp Review: Belmont Boot Camp, Burlingame Boot Camp, San Carlos Boot Camp, Shamp’s Studio Boot Camp
Preview YouTube video SUPINE STRAIGHT LEG ROTATIONS