Most of my clients want to eat healthy – they really do – but a single detrimental factor gets in their way…they simply don’t have the time.
I get it, we all lead busy lives that leave very little extra time for healthy meal prep, but the alternative of fast food meals, frozen dinners and restaurant fare is making us lose in the battle of the bulge.
All too often I see clients exercise hard everyday, and then flush their results away with irresponsible eating. Don’t let this be you!
To get you on the fast track to quick, healthy eating here are 5 healthy meals that take only 5 minutes to prepare:
Fast Meal #1: Traditional pancakes are filled with carbs, grains and a plethora of simple sugars – not something you’d consider healthy. In fact, eat pancakes regularly and you’ll find your fitness results quickly disappear. However, this simple, wholesome, 3-ingredient pancake recipe is the exception. It’s a pancake that you’re able to enjoy without guilt.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons almond butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or ground cinnamon *optional
- Mash the bananas in a bowl (or blend in a food processor). Add the eggs, almond butter and flavor additions. Mix until smooth.
- Preheat a griddle or skillet. Lightly grease with coconut oil. Pour the batter in ¼ cup scoops.
- Once you see bubbles form, flip and cook the other side until golden.
- Serve with fresh fruit.
Fast Meal #2: Wild tuna is a wonderful fish that’s packed with muscle-building protein and high quality, essential fats. However, most tuna salad recipes drowned out the benefits with a boatload of calorie-packed mayonnaise. This is a refreshing tuna salad recipe that, in addition to being quick to prepare, avoids the trap of high-calorie dressing. It also adds some chopped fruit and vegetables to really liven it up. This is a great recipe to enjoy as you journey towards your health & fitness goal.
Simple Wild Tuna Salad
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 2 green onions, tops only, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cans wild albacore tuna, in drained
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup red grapes, halved
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl and serve immediately. I like to serve this salad in large butter lettuce leaves, or scooped onto avocado halves. Enjoy!
Fast Meal #3: Yogurt has often been advertised as a healthy, guilt-free snack or meal replacement. This always bothers me because I know just how many simple carbs and sugars most flavored yogurts contain. Many people are deceived into thinking that the creamy, fruit flavored snack will help them lose fat, while it does just the opposite. For more on dairy go here: Do Dairy or Dump Dairy?
This is a recipe for a creamy, fruit flavored snack that is actually packed with protein and free of fattening sugars.
Creamy Protein Mousse
- 1 cup chopped fruit
- 1 (13.5oz) can coconut milk, full fat (chilled in the fridge overnight)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 frozen banana, peeled
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup vanilla protein powder
- Chill the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Do NOT shake the can up at all! Carefully turn the can over and open from the bottom. Drain out the liquid and scoop the white cream into a food processor. Discard the liquid.
- Throw all of the ingredients into a food processor. Blend on high until creamy. Enjoy chilled.
Fast Meal #4: Breakfast or your first meal of the day is the most important because it sets the tone for the rest of your food decisions for the day. A donut or breakfast sandwich grabbed from a drive thru will set you up to eat junk for the rest of the day. On the other hand, a wholesome, nutritious breakfast will get you geared up to eat good-for-you foods all day long. This quick breakfast recipe is packed with amazing, natural flavor as well as protein-filled eggs to power your day.
Zucchini Egg Scramble
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 organic eggs
- In a small skillet place the olive oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini, green onion, chives and rosemary. Cook until the zucchini is lightly browned on both sides.
- Crack the eggs into the skillet and continue to cook, mixing, until the eggs are set. Remove from heat and enjoy immediately.
Fast Meal #5: I’ve saved the best for last, in this list of 5 Fast Meals. There was a time when most people would turn their nose up at the idea of a salad being a meal, but times are changing, and we are now more aware than ever how traditional meals are too heavy and lead to obesity. I’d like you to consider a ‘Everything Salad’ to be the perfect, quick and guilt-free meal. Sure, there are plenty of ways to take a salad and make it fattening, but that’s not what we want to do. By taking a big bowl of fresh greens and topping it with high quality protein and fat, colorful veggies and a light, homemade dressing – you’ve got yourself the perfect meal!
Here’s what you need:
- Dark leafy greens (spinach, arugula, kale)
- High quality protein and fat source (chicken, turkey, lamb, grass-fed beef, wild fish, hard boiled egg)
- Colorful veggies, chopped (bell peppers, tomatoes, zucchini)
- Fresh Herbs (basil, rosemary, oregano, mint)
- Homemade dressing (see recipe below)
- Raid your fridge for fresh, organic produce and lean, cooked protein. Add in some fresh veggies and chopped herbs and mix together with a simple, homemade dressing. There you have it, the perfect meal!
While eating healthy, nutritious meals is awesome, don’t forget that exercise is half of the battle when it comes to getting and staying fit. Call or email me today and we will get you started on the nutrition and exercise program that will reshape your body and mind once and for all!
Check out more fabulous recipes on https://brienshamp.com/recipes
Your friend & coach,
Try out our Fit Body Boot Camp Afterburn Workout totally FREE with unlimited sessions for 7 days: 1 Week Boot Camp Trial Info
Fit Body Boot Camp is the only 30 minute group personal training program that’s fun, affordable, gives you fat loss results and challenges your body every time. Best of all, we guarantee you’ll be happy with the results or you get your money back.
The boot camp sessions are approximately 45-50 minutes long. Each session includes a 10-15 minute warm up phase with mobility and core movements to prepare you for the 30 minute metabolic workout, and then it ends with a 5 minute cool down phase.
Join Brien on Facebook
Write a Google+ Review
Write a Yelp Review: Belmont Boot Camp, Burlingame Boot Camp, San Carlos Boot Camp, Shamp’s Studio Boot Camp