BS, CSCS, CMT, C.H.E.K. NLC II
Certified Massage Therapist
C.H.E.K. Nutrition & Holistic Lifestyle Coach Level II
Advanced Metabolic Typing Advisor
Certified Strength & Conditioning Coach
Spartan Group X Coach
Dynamic Variable Resistance Trainer Level II
Brien’s desire is to help as many people as possible achieve whatever they want in life. Brien has a special interest in helping women; and even more specifically mothers who are over-committed, overwhelmed, over-worked, stressed, anxious, frustrated and sleep-deprived.
As a husband and father of two, Brien observes how difficult it is these days for the woman of the house to maintain balance. Brien also can empathize given he has worked with thousands of women all over the world for the last 24 years, helping them decrease stress, weight, pain, and improve hormonal balance. Via the process of stress reduction, Brien has helped thousands of women look and feel better.
Women on Brien’s programs have lost their muffin tops, felt sexier, got back into their skinny jeans, reduced hot flashes, improved fertility, decreased anxiety, improved their relationships, achieved the feeling of completion, felt happy again, improved efficiency at work so they can spend more time with their families, reduced digestive issues, become aware of food sensitivities, reactivities, intolerances and allergies, reduced neck, back, hip, knee and foot pain and more.
Brien coaches both men & women clients around the world to optimize efficiency. Within months his clients learn to make themselves a priority. With a focus on the key needs we all have, the mind, body and spirit achieve balance, so clients can achieve whatever they truly want in life.
Brien holds a B.S. in Exercise Science with an emphasis in Biomechanics from U.C. Davis and completed extensive graduate studies in the field of Exercise Physiology and Adapted Physical Education at SF State University. He is a Level II Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach, Metabolic Typing Consultant and NRT (Nutrition Response Testing) Practitioner. Brien is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist by the NSCA, a Spartan Group X Coach and has been a Certified Personal Trainer through numerous organizations since 1990. Brien is also a Certified Olympic Weightlifting Coach, Speed, Agility, & Conditioning Instructor, Nike Total Conditioning Instructor, Reiki Practitioner, Medical Massage Therapist, Acupressurist, Acu-Yoga Instructor, Therapeutic Yoga Instructor and in training to be a Spiritual Director.
Brien has EXPERIENCE. Each week he develops programs for over 600 clients and students of all ages (up to 105 years old) and abilities. He has been the Conditioning Specialist for several colleges in the area: College of San Mateo (CSM), University of Notre Dame, Santa Clara University and Menlo College. From 1998-2004, Brien was an Adapted Physical Education Instructor at Foothill College, where he taught elderly and mentally disabled students to enhance their overall functional capacity through exercise in various settings. Brien is recognized as a Master Trainer by IDEA. In 2000, he won the World’s Best Personal Trainer Contest by Met-Rx and was a judge in 2001. In 2009, Brien and his staff at Optimal Fitness were nominated “Best in the Bay” for Weight Loss by KRON 4. In December 2011, Brien was nominated one of the top 10 Personal Trainers in the country by Personal Fitness Trainer Magazine. In 2013, he was awarded runner up for Best Boot Camp by SF A List. In 2014, he was awarded Best Boot Camp by SF A List.He has written hundreds of articles on various health & fitness related topics. Brien is an active blogger on www.BrienShamp.com and a monthly contributor to Parenting on the Peninsula.
Brien is a LEADER. A trainer of the trainers, Brien is often sought out to present seminars to personal trainers, physicians, nutritionists, coaches, physical therapists, chiropractors and others who seek knowledge in athletic performance enhancement, functional conditioning and nutrition. He conducts ongoing training to the trainers at his studio.
Brien is an INNOVATOR.
- In 1999, Brien developed the award winning Optimal Fitness Nutrition Program (OFNP), which is a comprehensive lifestyle program, especially for people desiring weight loss and enhanced quality of life. This has been morphed into the RESET Nutrition & Lifestyle Program and the Fat Furnace.
- In 2000, he developed the worldwide Athletic Training Program (ATP). The principles of ATP are utilized in hundreds of fitness facilities, colleges and athletic teams worldwide.
- From 2002-2009, he opened the Optimal Fitness Lifestyle Center, which helped thousands of people around the Bay Area.
2015 is here and Brien is excited to get his programs out to more people who really need it in the Bay Area, but also around the country with the use of technology. It has been quite a journey since he started doing personal training back in 1991 at the age of 18.
- 2010 was a new start for Brien. It was a year of personal development, reflection and change. He changed his model from personal training to group boot camp programs. He then launched Belmont Boot Camp, Menlo Fit and Shamp’s Mini Camps.
- 2011 bought programs like TRX Camp & Burlingame Fit Body Boot Camp.
- 2012 was a year of development and refinement. Brien created the 5 Day Detox Program, which has received great results. Brien worked quite a bit on his personal development and focused more time with the family. In November, he competed in World’s Toughest Mudder, so much of his spare time was spent training for the event.
- 2012 was a year of optimizing systems, so Brien could reach even more people in 2013.
- 2013 was a very transformative year. Brien and his staff coached over 600 clients per week at 7 locations on the peninsula. Brien revised his 10 Day Detox & 21 Day Detox Program and revamped his personal training studio on Harbor in Belmont to make it group-friendly. It is now one of the best indoor boot camp facilities around – Shamp’s Studio Boot Camp. To date, there are 18 hours a week of programs, including both morning and evening times.
- In addition to the renovation of the studio, there is a new San Carlos Boot Camp and Youth Obstacle Boot Camp.
- 2014 has seen an explosion of new clients and the results are outstanding!
Brien is excited to help thousands more change the way they look and feel through the perfect nutrition, lifestyle and exercise formula. Given Brien’s experience he consults with clients all over the world, medical practitioners and health clubs to optimize programs and increase sales.
- Good Morning LA – June 1999 & June 2000
- Mornings by the Bay – Oct. 2000
- Idea Source – March 2000
- Independent – Apr. 2000
- San Mateo Times – June 2000
- Calgary Herald – Aug. 2000
- Ms Fitness – Winter 1999, Fall 2000, & Winter 2000
- Impact Magazine – Sep/Oct 2000
- Personal Fitness Professional – Nov. 2000
- Contributor to Quarterly Articles in Ms. Fitness Magazine since 2004
- Sports Illustrated.Com- 2009
- San Francisco Examiner.Com- 2009 & 2010
- Contributor to Monthly Articles in parenting on the Peninsula Magazine since 2010
- In Menlo.Com- Jan. 2011
- Precision Cycling Master Trainer: US
- Athletic Training Program (ATP): US & Canada
- ATP, AAQ (Speed, Agility, Acceleration, Quickness) Workshop: Fitness Resources (CO), Cardio Classic (CA) and Sarah City Mania (CA)
- ATP Strength & Power Workshop: Fitness Resources (CO) and Cardio Classic (CA)
- ATP Drills for the Personal Trainer Workshop: Fitness Resources and Sarah City Mania (CA)
- Medicine Ball Training 101: Fitness Resources (CO)
- ATP NRG Ball Training: Fitness Resources (CO) and Sarah City Mania (CA)
- Performance Enhancement through Functional Training: NATA Conference (CA)
- Dynadisc for Balance, Mobility, Proprioception and Core: Fitness Resources (CO)
- Various topics related to fitness and nutrition, Optimal Fitness Center (CA)
- Various classes related to Senior Fitness, Foothill College (CA)
- Baseball Performance related lectures, Optimal Fitness Center (CA)
- Functional Training for Seniors – Foothill College (CA)
- Detoxification- College of San Mateo & Optimal Fitness Center (CA)
- Metagenics/OFC First Line Therapy Program-Optimal Fitness Center (CA)
- Nutrition for Advanced Baseball Performance-College of San Mateo/Optimal Fitness Center/Santa Clara University (CA)
- Fit 4 Life-Lucy (CA)
- Functional Fitness Training-Fitness Educators of Older Adults Association (FEOAA)(CA)
- Successful Treatment of Obesity. A Multidisciplinary/Multidirectional Approach-Behaviordata Inc. (CA)
- Nutrition Panel, FFIT Fearless & Savvy Woman (CA)
My passion is to inspire people to make positive changes in their lifestyle, thereby realizing their optimal potential.
I coach my clients in defining their own healthy lifestyle goals and then design a program of principles, exercise and nutrition for them to incorporate into their daily life.
I use the latest information based upon scientific principles and a focus on practicality in today’s world to help clients master their own goals. As I guide clients towards taking responsibility for their own health and well-being, they become in control of their own destiny.
The highest possible quality of life is desired for everyone and I am committed to motivating individuals to making the healthy choices necessary to achieve this goal. Your friend and coach,
If you would like to talk to us about your goals and about a program designed just for you, contact us today for a FREE 30-minute consultation.