On January 12, 2017 I had an extremely informative coaching call with Dr.Heidi Dulay on the topic of Ketogenic Eating. Dr. Heidi was kind enough to share her notes with us for Part 1 of this discussion. Please read them below and you will also find the link to the audio of our call 🙂
We had two more coaching calls on the Ketogenic Diet. After you read the notes from Part 1, please visit these links for the other two calls:
Introduction to Ketogenic Eating
This is not a diet: Ketogenic is an eating approach or style that one can follow for life.
What is Ketogenic?: The following are the three main features of Ketogenic eating:
- Extremely low carb: 10 g or less effective carbs – which is half of Atkins induction carbs
- Moderate protein: Adequate for the body’s needs
- High fat: significantly higher than current, e.g. 50%–80% of calories
- 80% — level used to cure epileptic children of seizures.
- Ketogenic eating is so effective that children beg their parents for it because it stopped their seizures. Parents stop doing it because it was difficult to maintain for a whole family to switch to this type of eating.
- 50% + great for the general population, the higher the better (~30% considered good, eg. The Zone Diet)
Avoid: (so that carbs are at a minimum level):
- NO grains, not even oatmeal
- NO legumes (beans, peas)
- NO starchy veggies – green beans, artichokes, beats, carrots, tomatoes, winter squash. (Eat “5% veggies” – lettuce, spinach, other green leafy vegetables)
- NO nuts and seeds
Do it step by step. Remove grains first. When you’re comfortable, remove legumes, etc.
Not easy, especially if you are vegan. Easier for vegetarians who do dairy and eggs; Easiest for omnivores who eat animal food.
- Butter and ghee
- Heavy cream
- Sugar-free bacon (only source: US Wellness)
- Fatty steaks and pork chops, pork belly roast, chicken with skin on: tell your butcher NOT to trim off the fat
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil, sesame and other nut/seed oils
The quality of fat is VERY important.
Why ketogenic? Because it can:
- Burn fat, flatten your belly
- Increase energy – steady and ongoing
- Cut exercise recovery time
- Improve digestion – reduce reflux, indigestion
- Lower blood sugar
- Decrease anxiety
- Increase mental clarity and concentration
- Eliminate hunger spikes
- Reduce sleep problems
- Balance blood pressure
- Improve hair and skin
Please listen to “Ketogenic Eating – Part 1” in the audio player below. Just hit the “play” button:
Your friend & coach,
Try out the Fit Body Boot Camp Afterburn Workout for 21 days. You’ll see why we’re rated the best in the Bay Area! 21 Day Rapid Fat Loss Program Boot Camp Trial
Fit Body Boot Camp is the only 30 minute group personal training program that’s fun, affordable, gives you fat loss results and challenges your body every time. Best of all, we guarantee you’ll be happy with the results or you get your money back.
The boot camp sessions are approximately 45-50 minutes long. Each session includes a 10-15 minute warm up phase with mobility and core movements to prepare you for the 30 minute metabolic workout, and then it ends with a 5 minute cool down phase.
Join Brien on Facebook
Write a Google+ Review
Write a Yelp Review: Belmont Boot Camp, Burlingame Boot Camp, San Carlos Boot Camp, Shamp’s Studio Boot Camp