I just read a good article by Dr. Mercola, “The Pros and Cons of Using a Treadmill.”
Here are the highlights of the article:
- Walking or jogging on a treadmill is one of the least efficient forms of exercise.
- High-intensity interval training (HIIT) has proven to be far more efficient and effective.
- You can complete an entire HIIT session in 20 minutes, and you only need to do them twice or three times a week.
- HIIT is safer for your heart as well.
- High-endurance training, such as running for an hour at a time, puts extraordinary stress on your heart.
- Twice-weekly, 20-minute long sessions can help you lower your body fat, improve muscle tone, boost your energy and libido, and improve athletic speed and performance
- Allow for sufficient recovery between sessions.
- You don’t have to avoid the treadmill altogether if you happen to be particularly partial to it, or already own one.
- The treadmill is inadvisable for doing HIIT sprints; however, you can still do interval training on one.
- An elliptical machine is a far better and safer choice especially when doing HIIT.
- Recovery is a key factor of high-intensity workouts.
- As you increase the intensity, you can decrease the frequency. It’s really important to allow your body to fully recuperate in between sessions, so it’s NOT recommended to do high-intensity exercises more than three times a week.
Check out the entire article here: “The Pros and Cons of Using a Treadmill.”
If you don’t want to think about what to do with your workouts and if you want the benefits of HIIT, join us Monday for the Hot Mommy Makeover!
This is a 5 day program and each day you will experience a different workout.
Monday, Wednesday & Friday will be a HIIT workout.
Don’t worry…high intensity is relative to what you can do, so no worries about competing with others.
Tuesday and Thursday will be challenging, but it is our core-cardio recovery days.The goal is to not go out of breath. You can do that right?
As Mercola says, “Recovery is a key factor of high-intensity workouts.” Many do not understand this concept and desire HIIT workouts daily until they get hurt 🙁
HIIT is addicting just like sugar, alcohol or drugs.
Given most people are already stressed with the Game of Life, they can only handle a short bout of HIIT a few days a week.
A little bit goes along way.
We don’t need to spend hours in the gym as more is not better!
And if you are doing hours of cardio walking, jogging, on the treadmill or any aerobic machine you might want to consider a different strategy.
If you have any questions about the best way to lose weight and body fat or just how to get fit, reply back to this email.
Allow me to be your trainer and together we will maximize the use of your time.
Join us Monday for our NEW 5 day program and you will see what a structured program is like >>> Hot Mommy Makeover Program