Dr. Heidi Dulay and I had a great Thursday Coaching Call (11/17/16) on Intermittent Fasting, or as Dr. Heidi likes to say Digestive Resting.
My hope is that this call session will support those of you on the Holiday Belly Burn Program; however, as discussed in the call, many folks like Dr. Heidi and I do variations of Intermittent Fasting year-round, and on most days of the week.
Important concepts about Digestive Resting (DR)
- DR is NOT a diet. It is a crucial component of a lifestyle, a unique reorganization of daily eating.
- Can do DR up to 6 days a week, assuming one Anything-Goes Day per week.
“Eating Window” = when you will eat
“Resting Time” = when you will not eat
- Decide on your Eating Window: length and time period. Everything else will follow.
- A consistent rhythm is crucial. The body functions best on routines and rhythms.
- Commit to a start date, eg tomorrow!
- Professional proponents of DR do not specify what to eat during the Eating Window, implying that anything goes.
HOWEVER, I believe it IS important to eat health-giving food, ie, higher fat, moderate protein, lower carb—a ketogenic-type eating plan. Otherwise, hunger will take over during the Resting Time, and cravings and overeating will dominate the Eating Window.
- Autophagy – a process that is a crucial outcome of DR.
Autophagy is the recycling of body waste – spent proteins, metabolic debris, ingested toxins, etc.
Re Eating Window:
- Mine: 8 hours: 11am to 7pm, or 12noon to 8pm. Same as the Jaminets’ in Perfect Health.
- Consider what’s important to you, eg Brien’s client who goes to his 6:30am class. Even though it might be good to eat within one hour after exercising, this would break a morning DR Resting Time and she’d have to stop eating at 3:30pm and forgo dinner with family or date…
- Do cost-benefit analysis to decide on Eating Window.
What to eat/drink during the Resting Time:
- Most stringent approach: Only zero calorie drinks, eg black coffee, tea with or without zero calorie sweeteners
- 50 calorie micro-snacks:
- A generous pat of butter (1/2 tablespoon)
- 1 ½ oz broiled beef
- 1/3 chicken breast
- 2 oz steamed fish
- 2/3 boiled egg
- A cup of homemade bone broth (no meat, just broth with its natural fat)
- A cup of veggie broth with a tablespoon of organic raw heavy cream (Organic Pastures).
- 7 almonds, or equivalent amounts of any nuts or seeds, eg, 4 macadamias
- Half a tablespoon of nut or seed butter (but not peanut butter)
- A fat slice of avocado.
- A cup and a half (12 ounces) of tomato juice or any vegetable juice
- 50 calories or less of any health-giving food.
One micro-snack every 2–3 hours during Resting Time.
- Bulletproof Coffee – part of Asprey’s “Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting”
About 200 calories (lots more than 50 J ), but I think it works because butter doesn’t require much digestive energy… it aids digestion (produces butyrate (short chain FA) and helps create bile)) and is NOT deposited in body fat (adipose) tissue. MCTs are also not deposited in body fat tissue; used for energy.
- “Undereating” = 20% of usual daily calories several days a week
Warrior Diet – Ori Hofmekler
Dr Mark Mattson, Institute on Aging – neurodegenerative disease specialist/researcher
The Diet Doctor (dietdoctor.com – Andreas Eenfeld, MD) says he can’t keep as fit and lean as he likes without DR. He’s tried just doing Low Carb (his recommended way of eating), Keto, Paleo, etc. Says they don’t work as well as combining them with DR.
- The Jaminets – he’s an astrophysicist, she’s a biochemistry researcher (Perfect Health) are strong proponents of daily DR. They also do an 8-hour Eating Window.
- Brien and I do it.
- Recipe in Nitty Gritty 00 “Recipes: Bone Broth”
- Peanut butter is known to carry aflatoxin, [a mold uniquely attracted to peanuts]
- To prevent it getting brown and yucky when you store the rest of it, squeeze some lemon, lime or orange juice over it and store it in the fridge.
Listen to the audio of the call below and feel free to share the link to this blog post to your friends 🙂 I’d love to hear your comments as well on this call… just add them in below.
If you would like to inquire about nutrition & lifestyle coaching from Dr. Heidi and myself email me here firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Heidi Dulay has been a clinical nutritionist for twenty years, specializing in weight loss, intermittent fasting and personalized nutrition. She was Adjunct Professor of Health Education at John F Kennedy University for ten years and is Nutrition Chair for the California Health Medical Reserve Corps. She earned her doctorate at Harvard University in human development, and a masters in science at Stanford. She is currently working on an iPhone app for healing herb blends and is writing Eating 911, a book that answers the question many have asked her over the years: “What should I eat?” You can email your questions here: email@example.com
Try out our Fit Body Boot Camp Afterburn Workout totally FREE with unlimited sessions for 7 days!: 1 Week Boot Camp Trial Info
Your friend & coach,
Try out the Fit Body Boot Camp Afterburn Workout for 21 days. You’ll see why we’re rated the best in the Bay Area! 21 Day Rapid Fat Loss Program Boot Camp Trial
Fit Body Boot Camp is the only 30 minute group personal training program that’s fun, affordable, gives you fat loss results and challenges your body every time. Best of all, we guarantee you’ll be happy with the results or you get your money back.
The boot camp sessions are approximately 45-50 minutes long. Each session includes a 10-15 minute warm up phase with mobility and core movements to prepare you for the 30 minute metabolic workout, and then it ends with a 5 minute cool down phase.
Join Brien on Facebook
Write a Google+ Review
Write a Yelp Review: Belmont Boot Camp, Burlingame Boot Camp, San Carlos Boot Camp, Shamp’s Studio Boot Camp