Have you ever noticed how most of our favorite breakfast dishes center around a grain+gluten filled item? Breakfast is notoriously a high-carb, low protein meal, which sets you up for a day filled with poor food choices.
So, rather than go with the high-carb flow, start your day off with this Portobello Eggs Benedict – where a marinated and roasted Portobello mushroom cap is used to replace the English muffin. Think of it as a modern, fitness-friendly version of Eggs Benedict that will keep you on track with your results. Enjoy!
What You Need
For the Marinade:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon minced shallot
sea salt and black pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
For the Creamy Mustard Sauce
2 Tablespoons coconut cream
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon fresh chives, minced
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon water
For the Benedicts
4 Portobello mushrooms
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 cup baby spinach
- In a medium bowl whisk together the marinade ingredients. Wash the mushrooms and remove the stems. Place the mushrooms in a ziplock bag with the marinade for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- In a medium bowl combine the mustard sauce ingredients. Mix until creamy then store in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil. Place the marinated mushrooms on the pan and bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a simmer (not a boil!) Add the vinegar. One at a time, crack the eggs into a cup and gently slip into the water. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the eggs.
- Plate each benedict by topping a Portobello with spinach, a poached egg and a dollop of creamy mustard sauce. Enjoy!
One serving equals: 297 calories, 12g fat, 2g carbohydrate, 172mg sodium, 2g fiber, and 7g protein
I hope that you get a chance to give this recipe a try this week. Remember that I’m only a call or email away to assist you in all things fitness. And if you are not yet one of my prized clients then call or email me now to set up your first workout – I’d love to help you achieve your best body ever!
More of my recommended recipes can be found here>>> Recipes
We are adding more recipes daily.
I hope that you get a chance to give this recipe a try soon. Remember that I’m only a call or email away to assist you in all things health & fitness. And if you are not yet one of my prized clients apply as soon as you can to schedule an interview for our new 6 week challenge starting soon!
APPLY HERE>>> NEW 6-Week Holiday Transform Challenge
I’d love to help you achieve your best self!
Please share my educational content with your friends and family and help us influence even more Silicon Valley Residents to reach their full potential >> Subscribe
Your friend & coach,
Share this delicious healthy recipe by forwarding it to your friends and family! Click Here to share it on Facebook