Have you ever noticed how most of our favorite breakfast dishes center around a grain+gluten filled item? Breakfast is notoriously a high-carb, low protein meal, which sets you up for a day filled with poor food choices.
So, rather than go with the high-carb flow, start your day off with this Portobello Eggs Benedict – where a marinated and roasted Portobello mushroom cap is used to replace the English muffin. Think of it as a modern, fitness-friendly version of Eggs Benedict that will keep you on track with your results. Enjoy!
What you need
For the Marinade:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon minced shallot
sea salt and black pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
For the Creamy Mustard Sauce:
2 Tablespoons coconut cream
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon fresh chives, minced
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon water
For the Benedicts:
4 Portobello mushrooms
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 cup baby spinach
- In a medium bowl whisk together the marinade ingredients. Wash the mushrooms and remove the stems. Place the mushrooms in a ziplock bag with the marinade for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- In a medium bowl combine the mustard sauce ingredients. Mix until creamy then store in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil. Place the marinated mushrooms on the pan and bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a simmer (not a boil!) Add the vinegar. One at a time, crack the eggs into a cup and gently slip into the water. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the eggs.
- Plate each benedict by topping a Portobello with spinach, a poached egg and a dollop of creamy mustard sauce. Enjoy!
297 calories, 12g fat, 2g carbohydrate, 172mg sodium, 2g fiber, and 7g protein
Motivate your friends, family and co-workers! Use the “refer a friend” link below to forward this newsletter to your friends, family, and coworkers.
Please let me know if you have any questions!
Your friend and coach,